1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the option of picking up on or the other, but I can't decide witch one.

I'm mostly going to use it at the range and use it as a home defense weapon if I need to. I'm not keen on adding new accessories to my gun, so it should be good out of the box. Please help me out!

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
I like both companies ..both have excellent custy service .
Own lots of pistols from both companies

for a 1911 specifically....I the think Smith's are "prettier"
But think the Springers are better

pick the one you like best .
if any troubles with either, they'll take good care of you

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have both and many others to compare them to, the E series is a better production gun in my opinion...the loaded I have had a very heavy trigger, and poor slide to frame fit, but other than that it was still a good shooter for the money...

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Tough choice, but I would go with E-Ser personally. It was my first 1911 and holds a special spot in my safe.

For range use though, I would buy a Range Officer with nice adjustable sights...

Who wants to bet me OP will own both within 6 months? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tough choice, but I would go with E-Ser personally. It was my first 1911 and holds a special spot in my safe.

For range use though, I would buy a Range Officer with nice adjustable sights...

Who wants to bet me OP will own both within 6 months? :)
only if I had the money :(

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Don't have experience with the Smith.

Own two of the Springers in Stainless. One in 9mm, the first one was .45acp.

Also have a Springer Range Officer in .45acp.

I like them and have had no problems with them.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
When I bought my Springer Loaded, there was a S&W E series in the same display.
Both were begging my to take them home, but I could only afford one.

The Springer just felt better in my hand.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I have to have front grip serrations soooooo......I have an E series Talo but I also have a S/A RO that is the best $$ I have ever spent on a 1911. (The Wilson add-on serrations will do for now!)

You haven't mentioned how you will be using your new gun.
Range= consider adjustable sights.
Combat= consider fixed sights.

If your new gun will be the basis for future custom work the S/A may be the better choice but check with your LGS. The Smith doesn't need much custom work!

So many 1911's to little time!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There is a simple solution to that - buy the cheaper one now and spend the difference to put the second one on layaway :rock:
I was thinking the same thought's!! Buy the cheaper pistol, and save for later the second pistol. Its really difficult out there, with so may good guns out there to chose from and of course the cost involved!! :confused:
Best of luck with your choice.
Scott

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
You don't mention which model within the E-Series you're looking at, so I'll take a shot that you mean the basic, non-railed, non-commander sized model. Side by side with the loaded, it's a tough choice, so the advice above about buying the cheaper one first makes sense. Particularly when you consider that you'll likely own both eventually.

I will say, however, that of the two, for me, the S&W is a more attractive option. I still say they are the most underrated of the 1911s out there. I really like the overall quality and the extra touches that come standard on that series. As far as reliability and accuracy, you won't be disappointed by either pistol. I cannot speak to customer service support, because I've never used either. Be that as it may, I hear good things about both, if that's important to you.

The E-Series extras I really like are the frontstrap checkering, the slide top serrations (reminiscent of their revolvers, for us wheel-gunners), the flush-cut barrel, the angled cuts around the ejection port, and the extra large claw on the extractor - take a look at that thing, it's massive. Overall, it's a fine package, and at it's price point, it's an absolute bargain. The loaded is no slouch either, it just has fewer extra touches, ambi-safety aside. As for sights, that's strictly a personal preference. I wish Smith would issue one with adjustables, but that's just me. Again, you can't go wrong with either model, and eventually, you'll likely end up with both

·
Registered
23,175 Posts
I would go with the E Series but you might hold both. To me the E Series feels a little different but I have the Commander size with the rounded grip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys thanks for all the help. I'm probably going to get the s&w. The only modification I'm probably going to do is replace the rear sight with an adjustable one. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I would go with the E Series but you might hold both. To me the E Series feels a little different but I have the Commander size with the rounded grip.

Definitely feels different - in a good way! I think the grip is a smudget wider front to back (like Les Baer) and 16 lpi serrations are very similar to Guncrafter.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Hey guys thanks for all the help. I'm probably going to get the s&w. The only modification I'm probably going to do is replace the rear sight with an adjustable one. Thanks again!

Post up some pics when you are done!

BTW, every gun is different but mine did not like Shok Buffs... Flawless without one :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts