1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a J-frame with a plain black pinned front ramp sight. I also have a new front ramped sight with the red/orange insert for the gun and a new roll pin. The new sight is not drilled for the pin.

What is the best way to get the hole in the right spot on the new sight ?

Chuck it in the drill press vise while it is in the gun and use the existing hole as a pilot and drill through it ?

or

Try to line it up against the existing sight as a template and try to mark the hole and then drill it while off the gun ?

Or any other advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Definitely use the existing hole as a pilot... you can measure and double check all day long and odds are that you won't mark the hole just perfectly. Use the existing hole as a pilot...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Use the existing hole

I just installed (actually, I had a local smith install) a BigDot tritium sight on my 686+. Using the existing hole as a pilot, he drilled from both sides of the hole until he reached the center. He said you get better alignment of the sight, especially if the sight doesn't fit snug or has a small amount of play in the sight channel. Needless to say, he did a nice clean job! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts