1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the first hand gun I ever owned. Ordinary citizens can't own them in the southern part of the state of NY, but the rules in northern NY are more relaxed so people living near NY city and Long Island's lives are not worthy of protecting. I was issued this gun by my department in 1970 shortly after being sworn in and carried it every day for 20 years till I retired. I still have the gun because we were allowed to keep our gun when we retired.

After hearing about and reading about the Colt Python and its smooth trigger pull I bought a new one a few years ago (according to the guy I bought it from the serial number was produced in the 1970s.) he said he put a few rounds thru it and it looks as if the other owners did not put many rounds thru it so this is as close as you can come to buying a new Python.

I dry fired it a few times before taking it to the range and could't wait to run some ammo thru this gun and experience what it is like to shoot a Python.

And now I get to the whole point of this post, I wasn't all that impressed with the Python when I took it to the range. IMO my S&W is just as smooth as the Python, and I am now thinking that maybe the old S&Ws are underrated.

This is the my department issued gun, I only ran a couple hundred rounds thru it when I was issued the gun then I took off the factory grips and replaced them. The factory grips are still in new condition. I own a lot of guns but after carrying this one for 20 years I value this one the most

·
Registered
222 Posts
I used one to take Top Pistol in SAC back my early Air Force days.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Very nice and thanks for sharing both the gun and the backstory.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about the Model 15 without saying how accurate they were and how nice the actions were. I said the same thing about mine and it's one of those kick myself for getting rid of it guns.

So when I had a chance to get a tight, M15-6 with some holster wear, but exellent mechanical condition for under $400 I jumped on it. The M15 had been on my "Gotta get another one and hang on to it." list for awhile.

Maybe the lightness of the DA isn't Python level on mine, but smoothness in DA and crisp, precise let off in SA is excellent. Darned easy guns to shoot fast and accurate in DA mode.

The Model 15 is one of those guns anyone who loves handling and shooting revolvers should have at least one of.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the best revolvers ever built! Why would they not be allowed in southern NY?
Ordinary people are not allowed to carry pistols in the souther part of the state, southern NY is very anti gun. Unless you have political connectiobs you can not get a carry permit, Most of those lucky enought to get a permit can only keep it home and only take it out for trips to the range. When I lived in NY you were not allowed to touch a gun without a permit. If you went to a gun store they would not take the gun out of the showcase unless you showed them your permit. I didn't even try to get a permit. I was only able to own and carry after I became a cop. It was not just the S&W that was impossible to get, it was any gun

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dad carried the 15-2 as a police officer here in OK. He still has it and it was made in 1965 the year i was born. I have only shot in once as its missing the rear site leaf screw, which is on order from numrich.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes people have things that they do not fully appreciate. I have always liked my smith and always considered it more special than my other guns, but I have heard so much about how special the Python was while almost never hearing anyone give praise to the Combat Masterpiece. As a collector as well as a shooter I felt that no ones's collection could be complete without a Python. Now that I have owned and shot a Python it has made me realize that I had a treasure that was under appreciated.

If I were you I would shoot the gun without a sight because the gun will just naturally put a bullet wherever you point at on the target. I have to be pretty far back before I use the sights. The gun is a natural pointer and if you are ever in a life and death combat situation you will not have time to use the sights but it it is nice to know the bullets will hit what you point at.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Of all the Smith revolvers, the Model 15 is my favorite.

Sometimes I've been asked why not the Model 19 as it's essentially
the same but beefier and can handle the .357.

I tell them I just like the lines, weight of the Model 15 better and .38s
are good enough for me.

If I really want to go the .357 power route, I use a GP 100.

My second favorite Smith is the Model 14 with 6-inch barrel.

·
Registered
23,187 Posts
I have two of the model 15s.

I picked one up about twenty years ago for 170$. It was stamped S.C.P.D. So I think that it was a former police gun. More recently as in about two months ago I picked up another 15-3 for 300$. It had a dinged up sight aperture which I have subsequently found a replacement for. They are both excellent shooters. I also have a model 67 which some may know is the same gun only in stainless. I like it quite a bit also.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have two smiths and one Colt. I just got the smiths and haven't shot them yet. But after dry firing mine and ones at the store, I've come to the conclusion that in theory I like the feel of the Smith's trigger pull better and I'm hoping it will show in my groups. LOL.

The Colt's is super slick and pretty light. About 9 lbs, a bit less. But it stacks at the end. The Smiths is a different kind of smooth, but is harder in the beginning and finishes up easier. At least from the ones I've tried. I feel like when dry firing I can keep the front sight from moving less with the smith's I've tried. My Colt DS is a beautifully made weapon though.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have a Combat Masterpiece that came before it was a model 15 made in 1951(my birth year).I gave it to my dad back in the 70's he passed away in 97. Right before xmas i was at my moms(she's 85) house and ask her about it we went into her bedroom and got it from her sock drawer.It is just like it was when i gave it to him and one of the most accurate handguns i've ever shot.Lots of memories shooting with dad.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked one up about twenty years ago for 170$. It was stamped S.C.P.D. So I think that it was a former police gun. More recently as in about two months ago I picked up another 15-3 for 300$. It had a dinged up sight aperture which I have subsequently found a replacement for. They are both excellent shooters. I also have a model 67 which some may know is the same gun only in stainless. I like it quite a bit also.
That is stamped on my gun, the department I retired from is Suffolk County Police Department. Our contract entitled us to keep our guns when we retired so it could be a officer that sold his gun after he retired, or it could have something to do with our department switching to Glocks in 1990. The S&Ws were probably turned in and replaced with Glocks and then sold. I was retiring when they were switching over and a few people suggested that it would be a good idea to see if I could get my old outdated revolver upgraded to a modern indestructible polymer wonder gun and then retire with a brand new Glock. I am not even sure if I could have persuaded them to upgrade(? downgraded is a better word) my S&W for Glock but I would have fought tooth and nail to keep my old outdated revolver.

All or most of the small town departments were incorporated into one large department in 1965. S&W offered to sell a special commemorative edition to mark the departments 25 anniversary. I also own the commemorative gun.

The gun in the picture below is not my gun but I own one exactly like it, as a matter of fact it is my second commemorative, I had one and lost it in a nasty divorce and had to buy a second one on Gunbroker to replace the one I lost.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The Colts, especially the Pythons were always more expensive than the S&Ws. The Colts are nice, but I don't think nicer than a S&W, just different. I own both, and Ruger too.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had my own Ruger boycott going for the part they played in the assault weapons ban so there were e many years I wouldn't touch a Ruger. It been a long time since I ended my boycott but I still don't own any Tiger hand gun.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I own both a 15 and a Python as well as other S&W guns and an old .38 Trooper. The S&W double action seems better to me than on any Colt I've ever used. Single action the Colt is as good as the S&W. My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts