1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please guys - need some help and advice.

A friend of mine wants to sell me a Smith & Wesson 9mm. Semi-auto. He's in AZ. and I'm in CO. He said it's a model 39-2. Went to S & W's website and couldn't find such a critter. Anybody know what it is, or IF it is.
Also, any thoughts on the value of the pistol would be helpful.

Thanks much in advance.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
The S&W 39-2 was produced in the '70's, IIRC. I know the 39 came out in the mid to late '60's. Single stack, double action 9m/m with an aluminum frame, with some steel frame guns made too. I think that the "2" indicated changes in the extractor and other mods to the pistol. A much better pistol, IMHO, than the M-59.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is a second gen model 39 that will date to the 1960's to early seventies, and to be honest I have long ago forgotten what difference there was between the 39 and the dash 2. They are eminently unremarkable guns that have been superseded on many different levels, however there is nothing really wrong with them either. I would check condition and value carefully, as few people would really call a 39-2 desirable. They are in kindof a grey area of being good guns that do not have a lot of intrinsic value monetarily.

They are'nt on Smith's webpage because they stopped producing them back when minicomputers were the size of a mobile home

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
GrandmasterB said:

For what it's worth, the worst jam-o-matic POS handgun I ever owned was a 39-2. But I don't think my experience was typical. Many people have good things to say about them.
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I share the same experience as GrandmasterB. I had a 39-2 and it was very unreliable, and you could forget trying to shoot hollowpoints.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your quick replies. At least now I have some idea of what the beast is. Gonna have to do some more research on it. Again - Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Model 39 was introduced in 1954 and made unitl 1982 The last 39-2 was shipped in Feb of 83 with SN A747148. The -2 change took place in 71 and denotes a change in the extractor system due to reports of breakage in earlier models. They run fine with FMJ RN (aka "ball") profile ammo. Can be picky about other ammo that has a different profile. I've had one for about 25 years, and as long as I stick to ammo with the afore mentioned profile, it runs fine.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
For what it's worth...

Some of the old-timers in my department have remarked on our PD's days with the M39. They rarely have anything good to say about them. Several have remarked how the aluminum was prone to cracking. I have no personal experience with them, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts