1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add a 22lr pistol. School me on it’s reliability, any issues, getting mags, parts etc. I was headed toward a VQ scorpion and got side tracked on a 41. Im looking for a reliable shooter vs something that might have issues.
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I've have two S&W 41s. One of the Performance Center versions and one with 7 inch slide. Although I could have just purchased a 7 inch slide after getting the Performance Center version with the rail I decided it better to put that money towards another gun because it was after all about a third of the cost of a gun.

I haven't had them long and I only have fired my 7 inch version once. My experience with the Performance Center version has been good with CCI Standard Velocity and my experience with my one and only range session with my 7 inch version not so good.

If were you I would check out Rim Fire Central and get even more feedback. What I have seen in general is most have good experiences but there are some who have not.

Getting parts and such has been easy. Extra slides can be harder if looking for S&W slides. I think they might only make them at certain times of the year and those can be hard to come by if you are looking at the wrong time. However if you wait they will become available. However there is one company (Clark?) that makes a few versions and that is another option.

·
Super Moderator
7,625 Posts
I have 2. Solid pistols.

Get a few extra mags and if a mag give you fits, trash it or send it back to Smith for replacement. Life is too short to deal with mag problems.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
They've been around since 1957ish! S&W started working on the prototype around 1949ish. Here we are 70 years later!

Like the external extractor S&W is still perfecting it! (Sarcasm!)

I have way too many .22 precision pistols. 2 are M41's #1 is a 1962 vintage with the "cocking indicator", please notice I did not say loaded chamber indicator! This model has been used almost weekly for Gallery Bulls-eye. I still shoots perfect and looks like it was made yesterday!

#2 is from 1984 and has vey few rounds through it. There are a few minor changes but still a "shooter"!

The good news is they can still be serviced by S&W and barrels are still being made. I have a new one from current production that required a little fitting to lock perfectly.

Magazines are readily available and like Hi-Standard's may require a little adjustment from time to time "easy-peasy".

Both are retired currently and my "go-to" Gallery Bulls-eye gun is a Nelson Conversion on a dedicated Fusion receiver.

As in all things ".22" your gun may be a little finicky about ammo. I use CCI SV almost exclusively in all mine! Your gun will tell you what it likes!

Respect your .22s and use a snap cap if dry firing. You'll thank me later!

All the best in 2020 shoot more, clean less,

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I have a 5½" M41 I bought new in about 1981. It has never skipped a beat. I don't think I've ever fired anything other than CCI ammo through it, and before I knew better, most of the earlier shooting was with Mini-Mags. It's a great pistol.

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the good responses and feedback.

My choice just got harder!!...:confused::)

·
Registered
4,507 Posts

My choice just got harder!!...:confused::)
If so, you're overthinking it!!!! :) :) :)

These are fantastic pistols, and I believe every rimfire fan should have one... or two... or..... at least all of the different barrel lengths. :)

You'll likely have very good results with CCI SV as well as with Aguila SV, I've found. Avoid the high-velocity stuff, there's no reason to run those through a 41. Mags are plentiful, and not very expensive. All of the recent-production ones I've purchased have worked great.

Good luck on the hunt!

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If so, you're overthinking it!!!! :) :) :)

These are fantastic pistols, and I believe every rimfire fan should have one... or two... or..... at least all of the different barrel lengths. :)

You'll likely have very good results with CCI SV as well as with Aguila SV, I've found. Avoid the high-velocity stuff, there's no reason to run those through a 41. Mags are plentiful, and not very expensive. All of the recent-production ones I've purchased have worked great.

Good luck on the hunt!
Good to hear Jim. Magazine availability and reliability is key to keeping it fun.

·
Registered
323 Posts
At RimfireCentral.com there is a Smith & Wesson Model 41 subforum.

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=306

I own a 1978 5.5" M41 that I bought very used and abused. It had a few problems and looks like dogbutt but a former USMC team armorer got it to run great on CCI SV. In a Ransom Rest mounted on a heavy wooden movable rifle bench CCI SV will group 30 shots* in an NRA B-6 X ring at 50 yards using either the relined factory barrel or a Clark barrel that I have.

*I wanted to measure worst performance. If the pistol and ammo shoots like that they are probably not the choke on scoring ability.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I acquired a pristine 1979 vintage M41 a while back. I quickly added a Clark aftermarket barrel with integral rail for a red dot. Unbeatable combination for these old eyes. It does require semi-reasonable cleaning or it will fail to chamber
resulting in a no-fire.

Also, my go-to ammo was Federal Auto Match. Not acceptable. Way too many no-fires. Switched to CCI SV and problem went away.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
You didn't say what you want it for.

If you want a pistol that will work with any cheap promotional load, then no, the 41 isn't for you.

If you understand the M41 is a target revolver intended for accuracy over all else...And understand that you'll have to find a few loads that work well and shoot well; then you'll be VERY happy with it.

If ammo versatility is more important than ultimate accuracy, then buy one of the higher end Rugers or Brownings...or that ugly new S&W.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you understand the M41 is a target revolver intended for accuracy over all else...And understand that you'll have to find a few loads that work well and shoot well; then you'll be VERY happy with it.
While I am open minded enough to let my M41 self identify anyway it wants to we had to have a talk when it wanted to be a 32ACP.

"Let's open the slide and look at our bolt face. See, you're a rimfire. You need to shop in the rimfire aisle for ammo and compete in the 22 competitions. Unless you have drastic altering surgery you won't ever be a 32ACP and compete in Center Fire."

We're seeing a therapist. I wouldn't know how to explain to my M41 if it thought it should be double action and single action. If would be weird if it openly admitted to wanting a cylinder hand and a cylinder stop. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You didn't say what you want it for.

If you want a pistol that will work with any cheap promotional load, then no, the 41 isn't for you.

If you understand the M41 is a target pistol intended for accuracy over all else...And understand that you'll have to find a few loads that work well and shoot well; then you'll be VERY happy with it.

If ammo versatility is more important than ultimate accuracy, then buy one of the higher end Rugers or Brownings...or that ugly new S&W.
The guns purpose is primarily range target use.
I run match ammo in most of my rifles (i dont reload). So i dont mind using what gets me the best results. I shoot enough to tell the difference for the most part. Another example is my VQ .17 HMR rifle, CCI A17 works the best, costs a bit more, but gets the best results and fewest misfeeds.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm an older guy here, first got really interested in handguns in around 1964 at the age of 19. The Smith & Wesson 41 soon become my dream handgun and got my first one in the late 70's. I have owned 3 different 41's over the years since then. I have also owned Rugers, Brownings, High Standards and various others as well. There's just something special about the model 41, nice balance, perfect crisp trigger, great sights, and the pride of ownership thing. I shoot primarily CCI standard velocity ammo but I have a buffer for mine and I also shoot Federal high velocity at times as well. One of the pistols that you say you are considering is the Volquartsen Scorpion, so the price of the model 41 shouldn't spook you. I don't think you would ever regret buying one.

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The prices are similar, and doesn’t spook me. Ive got a high standard that was my fathers, and it doesn’t feed reliably, but I’d never part with it for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The prices are similar, and doesn’t spook me. Ive got a high standard that was my fathers, and it doesn’t feed reliably, but I’d never part with it for obvious reasons.
Try the new HS magazines, grab a tool, and adjust the lips, it should be rock solid. The magazine controls the feeding process, there is no ramp. So if its giving you trouble, a little adjustment on quality mags and you're all set. I'd try adjusting the old mags first of course.

This is may favorite article/website on how to adjust the HS mags.

HIGH STANDARD MAGAZINE ADJUSTMENT MODEL 102-107 HYPERLINK

Unlikely to be needed but also for reference:

http://www.histandard.info/Jim_Barta/HS-MAGSHIM.pdf

·
Registered
21,730 Posts
High Standards are totally dependent on magazine quality and adjustment.
There are tools and instructions for the last generations.
I have two originals that work well and three A series of recent Texas manufacture that feed but don't always slide lock and drop free. I have a gunshow magazine that was never much good and I only made it worse by tinkering. A friend has a couple of those cheapies that are fine in his High Standard.

My M41 is more certain in operation but not more accurate, if quite as good.

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try the new HS magazines, grab a tool, and adjust the lips, it should be rock solid. The magazine controls the feeding process, there is no ramp. So if its giving you trouble, a little adjustment on quality mags and you're all set. I'd try adjusting the old mags first of course.

This is may favorite article/website on how to adjust the HS mags.

HIGH STANDARD MAGAZINE ADJUSTMENT MODEL 102-107 HYPERLINK

Unlikely to be needed but also for reference:

http://www.histandard.info/Jim_Barta/HS-MAGSHIM.pdf
Thank you for the excellent references!!

What is the best source for new/additional magazines?

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Being the happy owner of three M106's and enough magazines I've found the above videos spot on. the "tool" is easy to make using 1/4" bar stock and a Dremel.

The current "Texas" H/S magazines seem to be harder or thicker in the feed lip area and work just fine.

Shoot more and clean less in 2020,

1 - 20 of 65 Posts