1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a S&W 1911. How are the stock trigger and any problem with the external extractor?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Plenty of info on the trigger, just do a search of the S&W section for "trigger" and you'll get plenty of answers. The extractor does its job.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
never heard of an extraction problem on any S &W. that is all they have ever used on their pistols so they got it down right. I have had a 645 , 745 , 4506 & a 3914 with no extraction problems. it seems that everybody is worried about an external extractor on a 1911 and nobody has a problem with a Browning high power even though the early ones had an internal extractor. I currently have a basic blue S & W 1911 and no problems with it either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ten’s of thousands of rounds down range of all types, new and reloads. Out of three different S&W 1911’s. No problem with the extractor. The trigger is a personal thing. Two of them have been great and have been left untouched. I have had one cleaned up. Can’t go wrong with this gun.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Multiple S&W's to date from full sized steel to the Scandium Gunsite. Zippo problems with any of the external extractors. They just function and do it well. Most of the triggers were fine but a couple did have the loose fitting slight wiggle thing going. Not an issue for me, but others have commented they did not like it. New better fitting triggers solved their issues.

Good luck to you. :rock:

·
Registered
304 Posts
My trigger from the factory came at right at 3lbs. Nice and crisp. Haven't had any problems with the extractor in the 500-600 rds I put through it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm curious why anyone would think there would be problems with S&W's external extractor. I hear quite a lot about guys tweeking their traditional 1911 extractors for one reason or another. So far my #108284 has been flawless but 've only put 1100 round through it and it's hardly broken in. :D

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I know for a fact that I love mine. I don't think I have had any problems with it at all.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
What issues? The extractor on mine has been flawless, and the trigger is one of the best I`ve ever handled out of the box...bar none.

·
Registered
116 Posts
trigger, extraction

I've had an SS SW1911 and an SW1911DK.
No extraction issues. The trigger on the DK seems a bit better, though both are standard build factory guns, not PC. The SS was a tad gritty.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm curious why anyone would think there would be problems with S&W's external extractor. I hear quite a lot about guys tweeking their traditional 1911 extractors for one reason or another. So far my #108284 has been flawless but 've only put 1100 round through it and it's hardly broken in. :D
Colt tried to make external extractors work in the 1930s and couldn't pull it off. You see a lot of dinosaurs posting that 'by gum if colt couldn't make it work in 1939 then it's a dead issue, just like nobody will ever get them new fangled airi-o-plane things working'. ;)

Kimber gave external extractors a try as an economy move. With Kimber engineering and quality issues they couldn't make it work. Is anybody surprised?

S&W on the other hand was successfully producing pistols including 45s with external long before they got into the 1911 business and did it right. Today both S&W and Sig successfully produce reliable 1911s with external extractors.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I swapped out my trigger, just a simple detail strip job, because I wanted mine short and smooth. Trigger pull was excellent from the factory, just under five pounds. The external extractor is a non-issue, unless you are a traditionalist and must have an internal one.

Robert

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts
Good time to buy one . $100 factory rebate in effect :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts