1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W Performance Center 1911 with the melonite finish. Today, I noticed that the firing pin plunger had become stuck in the "open" position, thereby disabling the firing pin safety. (If it is going to get stuck, this is the better alternative.) I removed the rear adustable sight so I could get to the plunger, and I discovered that the plunger had a number of nicks on it. I assume this is indicative of a timing problem. Because this is not a carry gun, I am leaving the plunger out for now. Would filing away the various nicks solve the problem or does this deserve a trip back to S&W?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,637 Posts
This is a firing pin block safety timing issue and the plunger isn't being lifted sufficiently before the GS allows the trigger to release the hammer. The nicks should be polished off, yes, and the firing pin as well if it shows marks. The problem is the GS is what deactivates this safety and then should release the trigger. If it where timed correctly you could hold the trigger back and GS in, cycle the slide and release the GS, but continue to hold the trigger back. The firing pin should be completely free and can be checked with a small punch at this time. What this procedure has set up is the trigger is blocking the GS from returning to it's out most position and is holding it at the point that it releases the trigger which should be holding the firing pin plunger in. Yours isn't.

LOG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts