1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first post but I have been following along for awhile.

Probably a little late to ask, and I tried searching and didnt find alot of info.

I found a very clean and rarely shot, this thing is as good as new. SA 1911 in 38 super. Probably going to pick it up tomorrow. I put it on layaway to come home and see what kind of money it was worth and if there was any reliability issues.
Not finding much on it.

Comes with 5 mags also.

Is there any worries I should be looking for, BTW it is a N ser# gun. felt very tight.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well to late now...lol
Mod just got me setup on here to post
I stopped on tues. and picked it up, checked it over good and took it to the range yesterday.
WOW what a shooter, my first 38 super and I love it

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Sweet pistol, I've been looking for a.38 super for a while and didn't know SA ever made one other than in the custom shop. You can give SA a call and they can give you some history on the gun.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Kind of looks like a .38 Super, Mil-Spec. To me, when I look at the serial number and other information on the frame, I get the feeling your gun may be at least ten or more years old.

I am sorry that I don't have more for you. It looks like brand new from your pictures.

Jay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys
I called them yesterday, they said its a 2002 GI model
Im guessing previous owner had the rear sight cut?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me ask this.
Very clean and rearly shot, not a mark anywhere
1 stock mag
2 Meg mags
and 3 shooting star mags
599.99???????

I just wanted it...lol

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Congratulations on the find! I bought one about three years ago. It's my "Jefe de Jefe" pistol. It shoots like a dream. It now has a set of black buffalo stocks, and a flat MSH.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Let me ask this.
Very clean and rearly shot, not a mark anywhere
1 stock mag
2 Meg mags
and 3 shooting star mags
599.99???????

I just wanted it...lol
You did fine. Maybe a little better deal could have been made if you'd bought from an individual rather than a store, but then again maybe not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a similar pistol, SA Mil-Spec bought in 05 for $580.
They came with fixed sights, and black grips.
Bought some Wilson mags and a Pachmayr extended release for a 45 but it works.
Always wanted a steel framed pistol in this caliber,not the alloy Kimber uses.

·
Registered
574 Posts
very nice! my understanding and experiences show the GI having vertical rear only cocking serrations with a staked front site and low gi sight. While the mil-spec has angled rear only cocking serrations [like yours] and a staked front sight with a white dot and much taller.
Although SA has made many changes along the way, so it gets a little confusing. Either way, very nice pistol and GREAT caliber.
Enjoy,

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I would have gotten it for the roll marks alone. I love the SA 38 Super markings, but I've never caught one in person.

OP, if it's your first Super, there's a strong chance it won't be your last. That cartridge is a heck of a lot of fun!

And @pendennis, that one you have is a NICE looking piece!

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Thanks guys
I called them yesterday, they said its a 2002 GI model
Im guessing previous owner had the rear sight cut?
It appears your rear sight required no cutting on the slide. It looks like an adjustable for use in a standard GI dovetail. You will enjoy the caliber. I can guarantee that.

Going back to a fixed like the 10-8 NM or the Harrison retro might be something you would want to look into. You might find that sight to be somewhat sharp against the body or against the tender flesh of the hand during a speed reload or emergency clearing drill.

Congratulations on your find. I would have paid that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine is a little newer, N514xxx. I gave more than you did a few years ago and would jump on it again. Trigger and bushing added. Shoots like a dream.
I had SA Custom shop add a 38 Super barrel to a 9mm Loaded Target before I got this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, Ive put a couple hundred through it so far. and i love it.
It wont be a carry gun , but a play toy for the range and maybe some steel.
will start my first reloads of this caliber this weekend.
The only part I dont like is the grip safety. I have gotten spoiled to my other 1911's with the beaver tail style. this one is putting a nice pinch in the web of the hand

1 - 16 of 16 Posts