1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the new SA 9mm and took it down to the range yesterday – exactly what I expected – excellent!

The recoil is small, consider it is only 9 mm and it feels even better than my 92FS. Since it is a 1911, my hand does not have to “learn” to hold it – grip and feel is the same as my other 1911s.

The factory trigger pull is OK, but not as “clean” as I wanted… probably a trigger job will be the first on the “to-do” list.

I was happy that I did not have “hammer bite” - that I used to get on my SA Mil-Spec.

The factory SA magazine worked fine. No FTF or FTE on WWB or ever JHP. Now - more clean/oil/lube and more break-in at the range again.

The only problem I had was the ambi thumb safety was really loose… but not something I am concern of (at least not now).

All in all, an excellent value and not to forget the “cheaper” 9 mm ammo.

For those of you out there who owns a 1911 9mm, what’s your upgrade route? I plan to use this for IDPA or IPSC later on. :cool:

Thanks in advance again!

·
Registered
775 Posts
My trigger is now nearly perfect after about 500 rounds. I thought I would send it off, but I like it as is.
Didn't yours come with the funky Metalform mags with the fold in the front?
I had to install a 10 pound recoil spring to get the pistol to function 100% with slide lock.
But I agree, they are the sweetest, softest shootin' 9 irons I've ever tripped a trigger on.
I've been getting fantastic 25 yard groups with Winchester USA JHP's and Blazer aluminum 115's.
I think the only thing I'm going to change is the grips. I want black grips so it matches my Sig P226st and my Freedom Arms revolver.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
S A 1911 9mm's are just darn good guns.

i did have a fluff and buff trigger job by our local resident expert in the art on both of mine to get them in at around 4 lbs. which is where i like my guns. these are great shooters, smooth and ever so accurate.

used my fixed sight gun in a two day personal protection class the thing outshoot everything there the 1st day and tied a .357 revolver and i believe a 1911 .45 for accuracy the 2nd day in very cold outdoor conditions.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use the same 15 lb spring in my Springfield/Caspian 9mm hybrid that I use in my Springfield 38 Super. Does the lighter spring help that much? I've had no failures with the 15 spring, but I'm always looking for a better horse.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
adronicus, watch your front sight when you are firing your Springfield. If it is dipping after the slide is closing and then coming back up in your rear notch then you would likely benefit from a lighter recoil spring.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I am not sure if SA still puts that awful locking safety in their guns, but if they do get rid of it. The main spring must have been 28 lbs or more. It had to be to get the titanium FP to work. Toss all of that nonsense and put a steel FP in and a 17 lb MS.
Your gun is perfect for IDPA ESP. You will be at a disadvantage in IPSC. You will have to shoot Lim. 10 scored minor.
I found that a 10-11 lb. spring worked best.
The other thing I would get rid of is the ambi safety. Any stage that requires weak hand shooting is done with the safety off. I like the McCormick safety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts