1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend texted me last night asking if I wanted an SA-35 with a 3 digit serial number under 500. Short version; I now own it for $710. He'd shot it a few rounds and said it shot low left. It came with the box, manual, nylon carry case and one magazine..... everything it was shipped with. He had it only a week and it is absolutely like new..

It was straight from his house to the range where I set up a target at 21 yards from the bench. Shooting over sandbags, I fired about 40 rounds. Hollow base round nose bullets were pretty well centered and a few inches low. Flat nose bullets were also low but right of center. Function was perfect in every way. Cases were ejected about 3 feet into a small area to the right a only slightly rearward. Sights are easy to use and give a good picture. Overall I'm pleased with one minor complaint and one a little more serious. The minor issue is the low POI but that is easily corrected. The biggest complaint is the trigger weight which is fairly heavy at a guestimated six pounds or so. It is crisp but heavy. I hope it lightens as it's shot more. It's a keeper IMO.

The target below shows a total of 20 shots; 10 center and 10 in the head area. Aim points were the X in the center and about 3/4 of the way up the head.

Head Human body Sleeve Font Electric blue

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
A friend texted me last night asking if I wanted an SA-35 with a 3 digit serial number under 500. Short version; I now own it for $710. He'd shot it a few rounds and said it shot low left. It came with the box, manual, nylon carry case and one magazine..... everything it was shipped with. He had it only a week and it is absolutely like new..

It was straight from his house to the range where I set up a target at 21 yards from the bench. Shooting over sandbags, I fired about 40 rounds. Hollow base round nose bullets were pretty well centered and a few inches low. Flat nose bullets were also low but right of center. Function was perfect in every way. Cases were ejected about 3 feet into a small area to the right a only slightly rearward. Sights are easy to use and give a good picture. Overall I'm pleased with one minor complaint and one a little more serious. The minor issue is the low POI but that is easily corrected. The biggest complaint is the trigger weight which is fairly heavy at a guestimated six pounds or so. It is crisp but heavy. I hope it lightens as it's shot more. It's a keeper IMO.

The target below shows a total of 20 shots; 10 center and 10 in the head area. Aim points were the X in the center and about 3/4 of the way up the head.

View attachment 622421
Good shooting. What were the weights of the bullets fired? Did the gun come with a test target and if it did did they list a bullet load and weight?

Reactions: Che

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good shooting. What were the weights of the bullets fired? Did the gun come with a test target and if it did did they list a bullet load and weight?
Thank you for the kind words. I didn't see a test target.

My load is the Berry hollow base round nose 115 grain bullet over 5.6 grains of Hodgdon CFE Pistol powder. OAL is 1.155 inches. I shoot that in all of my 9mm pistols and it's proven to be a good, accurate load. I developed it to use in my Lugers originally and have stuck with it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
At least it's shooting low, that's easily correctable by filing the front sight if necessary. That's a lot easier than trying to add metal because it shoots high.

I normally shoot more 115s or cast 125 LRN, and that bodes well if and when my SA-35 comes into the local shop I ordered from. I'll probably start using heavier bullets now that they're more popular than they were back when I was shooting BHPs in the waybackwhens.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
My load is the Berry hollow base round nose 115 grain bullet over 5.6 grains of Hodgdon CFE Pistol powder. OAL is 1.155 inches. I shoot that in all of my 9mm pistols and it's proven to be a good, accurate load. I developed it to use in my Lugers originally and have stuck with it.
I bought my BHP in 1982 and started reloading for it then. 3.5 grains of Bullseye under a 125 grain Lead RN. Only after I got a Glock did I invest in plated bullets like the X-Treme 115 grain over 4.2 grains of Bullseye.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Is the finish a Coating or a Metal Treatment, Oxide, Parkerized etc. ? WHERE IS IT MADE ? No one is saying.
Does it have a MAGAZINE SAFETY ? - this would affect trigger pull. - Inquiring minds want to know.
BTW - I never did get my grail tangent sight P35. Only HPs I currently own are: my restored Model SA 80 Mauser marked FEG HP + my Tisas Regent Stainless BR-9 HP - (it is so good) I bought a Turkish Stainless Sarsilmaz 2000 (CZ-75B Clone)
All of which have soothed my HP itch - for now. C.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thank you for the kind words. I didn't see a test target.

That’s my go to range load.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is the finish a Coating or a Metal Treatment, Oxide, Parkerized etc. ? WHERE IS IT MADE ? No one is saying.
Does it have a MAGAZINE SAFETY ? - this would affect trigger pull. - Inquiring minds want to know.
BTW - I never did get my grail tangent sight P35. Only HPs I currently own are: my restored Model SA 80 Mauser marked FEG HP + my Tisas Regent Stainless BR-9 HP - (it is so good) I bought a Turkish Stainless Sarsilmaz 2000 (CZ-75B Clone)
All of which have soothed my HP itch - for now. C.
There are many reviews on line as samples were provided to selected individuals prior to the official release of the SA-35. I think you'll find your answers by searching for "SA-35 reviews".

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pics of the SA 35 would be nice. Now stand like a man and shoot.
Today, after being Match Director for two benchrest matches, I was able to shoot the SA-35 at 18 yards standing and using two hands. I fired 10 rounds. Two in the 8 ring, six in the 9 ring and two in the 10 ring. The maximum spread C-C measurement was 4.75 inches. The majority of the shots were low just as the targets shot from sand bags showed. I'm quite pleased with my SA-35.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Today, after being Match Director for two benchrest matches, I was able to shoot the SA-35 at 18 yards standing and using two hands. I fired 10 rounds. Two in the 8 ring, six in the 9 ring and two in the 10 ring. The maximum spread C-C measurement was 4.75 inches. The majority of the shots were low just as the targets shot from sand bags showed. I'm quite pleased with my SA-35.
On your pistol is there any play in the safety? When the hammer is lowered on an empty chamber does the safety have any upward movement? I am interested to hear if the safety what BHSS removed from their SA-35 simply had a defective safety or if there is a problem with the design and machining of the safety.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On your pistol is there any play in the safety? When the hammer is lowered on an empty chamber does the safety have any upward movement? I am interested to hear if the safety what BHSS removed from their SA-35 simply had a defective safety or if there is a problem with the design and machining of the safety.
I just checked. Absolutely no movement of the safety when lowering the hammer or cocking the hammer. The safety has good resistance when engaging and a solid "snick" when disengaging. There's no play in the safety at all.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I just checked. Absolutely no movement of the safety when lowering the hammer or cocking the hammer. The safety has good resistance when engaging and a solid "snick" when disengaging. There's no play in the safety at all.
Good to know. When the hammer is down on an empty chamber can you move the safety up at all? For example this safety does not move upwards on this Don Williams BHP.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts