1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was visiting my friends down in Yuma, and the grandson had a parkerized 38 Super which had been given to him, we shot it all afternoon and I really liked the gun, so much so that I offered to buy it. The 14 year old could sense that I really wanted it and made a game of it. Funny thing about the kids 38 Super, his brother gave it to him, and he won it in a gun store contest. I offered him $700 which he turned down.

He wanted one of my Mauser P-08's in trade, which, though I liked the 38S that was not something I'd do, so I started looking for one.

I finally found one, with rust under the grips, so I parkerised it again and finally got my gun.

Prier to that I called SA and asked to be put on "the list" but the guy who answered said it was not likely to ever be made again. So they must have made only a few thousand, is that correct? Since other makers made far larger runs I wonder why SA didn't?

Thanks,
parts.

·
Administrator
13,281 Posts
I recall selling them back 15 or so years ago . We bought them on closeout direct from Springfield . Wholesale was close to $300 . We sold a few but not many .
Imo , $700 was a high offer for a GI type SA .38 .

·
Registered
117 Posts
nickeled

I have SA 38 super in nickel shoots great looks great. Came with fake pearl grips but look better with black grips. Posted a photo here a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still I have to wonder why other companies made many more relative to SA. I looked Gun Broker today with the search line "1911 38 Super" and there were 196 items, but not even one Springfield. There were Llama's and many Colts and STI etc. etc., but no SA.
I have to think there wasn't profit in it, or a liability window, or even some personal bias against them, which doesn't seem likely.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The Springfield 1911-A1 was made at least as late as September 2003. I own one in nickel, and SA confirmed the ship date date for me. It came with Eagle "black pearl" grips, which I've subsequently replaced with black buffalo horn. I also replaced the nickel arched MSH with a polished stainless steel one. Shoots like a dream.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,149 Posts
I got mine in 2003, and it was a really nice gun. I think it was priced a bit higher than the .45 Mil-Spec.
A couple of years later, CDNN was blowing them out, cheap, as noted above.
The gun was out of the catalog for a number of years, then reappeared again.
I liked that it had a ramped barrel of ~.580" diameter, so you had good case support and regular ".45" bushings could be fitted.
I replaced mine with a very similar Colt '91, and while I like the Colt, the Springer was a better value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts