1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!

I have a 5"LW that I absolutely love. It has been 100% reliable through about 4000 rounds so far (had it about 18 months), and I only have one concern about it.

Has anyone had or heard of any durability issues with the aluminum frame? I love this gun so much I'd marry it if it were legal to do so, and it pains me to think she might crack.

?
TIA
QS

·
Registered
647 Posts
We all love our Bi-Tones. As for durability with the frame, I have no worries. If anything should go wrong, SA does have that lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Just keep a fairly "fresh" recoil spring on board your pistol, and consider a shock buff, at least for non-serious use of the gun. Also, keep your ammo within reasonable power limits. These little common sense hints should help keep your LW in one piece for a long time to come.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't shoot anything any more powerful than ball. My carry ammo is 230gr HydraShok. I have considered going up to an 18# spring, but the gun has been incredibly reliable and I'm afraid to do ANYTHING to dick with it. I do use the blue Wilson Shok-Buffs.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Hey, sounds like you're on the right track to me. Why not get an 18#er and just play with it sometime? You can always go back...

·
Registered
298 Posts
One reason I picked up the all-stainless target Loaded SA pistol was in the event I wanted to blow off a few sizzlers. I won't shoot anything really hot in the LW Bi-Tone; only standard fodder. I always strictly adhere to the reloading manual, especially when cooking up hot loads. I loaded up some rather warm Hornaday 185-grain JHPs for my brother, who has a stainless Colt Gold Cup, and I installed an 18.5-lb. recoil spring and a shock-buff as well. His gun handles this hotter load just fine, so I figure my stainless target Loaded will also. I also used new Starline +P brass.

Just as with my SIG 220, which also has the lightweight aluminum alloy frame, I'll stick with the standard power loads in the LW Bi-Tone.

Doctor Lecter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts