1911Forum banner

SA Champion or the Colt Commander

1721 Views 12 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  lougotzz
Up until today, I had pretty much had my mind set on purchasing a Springfield Champion 1911 A1 Loaded. But, todayI dropped by a gun shop that dealt in almost nothing but Colt 1911's. The one that really caught my eye was the Colt Commander Stainless NIB with rubberized grips (finger molded type). To tell you the truth, I didnt look to see if it was the lightweight version or not. But, he had it for $695.00 which is about 100 cheaper than the SA champion. My question is, why should I go with the SA Champion over the Colt Commander? Any flaws in the Commander? I had heard that there were some ejector problems on some of the Champions, is this true? Thank in advance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
My champion has been flawless. There are those who have problems with the ejector, but that's a $20 part at most. The reason to get a champion over a colt (assuming plane-jane commander and loaded champion) would be if you plan on adding the features that the champion has later on; such as the beavertail, commander hammer, adj trigger, night sights. Most people add these things later on if they do get a mil-spec gun, so for me when I chose, it was a matter of pay a little more now or a lot more later. Plus whatever problems you do have, springfield will fix it free for life (see owners manual for details).

Now, having said that. Buy whichever one you like, that feels right to you. There are no bad 1911 purchases (well, maybe a few), just bad plastic purchases. ;)

Nismofun

· Registered
186 Posts
I have the light weight Champion and have only great things to say about it
No ejetion problems at all
although it did not like semi wad cutters
I had 2 FTFs in a box of 50
everthing else is great
I dont own a Commander but I would not hesitate to buy a Champion

· Registered
165 Posts
Bronc -

I have a Champion and it is a fine shooter. I have no reservations in recommending this gun. I bought it as my first 1911 and I have been very pleased.

I have to say that your price on a new Colt certainly appears below that which I have seen recently. Although, I have seen the Champion at something less than that $695.

I do not know anything first-hand about the Colt Commander. It was on my list until I saw a used version at a price that was above what a NIB gun could be purchased.

Let us know what you decide.

Regards

· Registered
184 Posts
The Colt will hold its value more than the Springfield. Colts are utterly reliable out of the box. Cannot say the same thing about a Springfield. This may be a minor thing for some folks, but field stripping a Commander is so much easier that a non full size Springfield. They are really a pain for me. The recoil system in a Commander is simple. I like KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

· Registered
132 Posts
I like the Champion. I had the blued lightweight version but after having some feeding problems with it, I traded it for a Colt Combat Commander.

The Champion fit my hand well, was very accurate and seemed nice otherwise. I had to send it back to Springfield, which was a little more of a hassle than I liked, but they worked on it and got it better. Mind you, they tested it with Gold Dots, but the 185 gr instead of the 230 gr, which was giving it fits. I have since noticed that on newer guns made this year, that the feed ramp area and the juncture between the barrel and frame has been modifed in the last year for better feeding (or so I was told).

I love my Colt as their new dimpled throating makes feeding issues a thing of the past. I still would not rule out the Springfield as a very good buy. I would look to the Colt to hold its value better and would probably give the nod to a Colt.

· Premium Member
3,543 Posts
You'd do well to get either. Love my little SA Champ, but I would prefer the Colt Commander, as it has the traditional barrel bushing and recoil spring guide setup.

· Registered
866 Posts
I have a colt commander. i put a heavier recoil spring in it and I use wilson mags. the thing is a work horse. The only thing I dont like the the grip safety. That is an easy fix. I will put a beavertail on it. All my colts run fine. I cant say that about my springers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.