1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until today, I had pretty much had my mind set on purchasing a Springfield Champion 1911 A1 Loaded. But, todayI dropped by a gun shop that dealt in almost nothing but Colt 1911's. The one that really caught my eye was the Colt Commander Stainless NIB with rubberized grips (finger molded type). To tell you the truth, I didnt look to see if it was the lightweight version or not. But, he had it for $695.00 which is about 100 cheaper than the SA champion. My question is, why should I go with a Commander over the SA? Are they that better? Thanks for any and all info you can give me to clear this up.

· Registered
418 Posts
Personally, I like the looks and lines of the Colts better than the rest of the 1911s (and that includes the high-end customs). I have found them to be more reliable than the Springfield Armories. Colts carry their resale value better than the rest. And they have the history. There's nothing like a true Colt.

· Administrator
80,947 Posts
Bronc said:
But, todayI dropped by a gun shop that dealt in almost nothing but Colt 1911's.
:eek:

Wow, if I found a place like that I'd figure I just got run over by a truck. Usually I see wall-to-wall Kimbers and Glocks, but not Colts.

Getting back to the question, I prefer the Commanders due to their 4 3/4" slides and barrels. The 4" Springfields are at the minimum threshold for reliability.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, almost 3 cases full of just Colt 1911's. The first gun I seen and like was a Series 70 Gold Cup. Well, after seeing the price tag of 1400, I quickly stepped back. LOL.

One thing though about this Commander in question is that it has the rubberized grips that are pre finger formed (if that makes sense), I havent seen a Commander sold NIB with grips like this. I have been told that you can put a gold cup national match bushing on it and it will shoot fantastic, is this true?

· Premium Member
19,345 Posts
It'll outshoot most folks just the way it is. The grips are easily changed to any style fitting a government. This American Made pistol is by far the better choice of the two.

edit to add: Listen to how many guys will tell you about SA's lifetime warranty, then ask why it's necessary! If a pistol's gonna have problems, they will manifest themselves in pretty short order.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
I bought a NRM (new roll mark) STS Commander several months ago and absolutely love this gun. It had the enhanced series frame which didn't bother me at all. I added a few Wilson parts (Drop in beavertail, extended thumb safety, bulletproof slide release (this was added more to keep the finish the same on all the add on parts), and mainspring housing), not that it needed these, but just to make set the gun up just the way I wanted. The gun shoots great for me with the stock bushing. I would highly recommend this gun and it really doesn't need any modifications done to it.

· Registered
685 Posts
COLT!

Wait, let me get this right. A made in Brazil, forged in Brazil, assembled in Brazil, or whatever, a 4" barrel or a real Colt, made in the good old USA with a 4 1/4 " Commander barrel. NO Contest. Go with the COLT!

· Registered
188 Posts
I have a Champion, and am perfectly happy with it.

HOWEVER, if I could get a NIB stainless Colt for $100.00 cheaper, I would do it in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

Around here the exact opposite is true: A USED stainless Commander is $100.00 more than a NIB SA.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I called the guy back and got a little more info on the gun in question. It is a 2003 Series 80 Stainless Commander with the Pacheymeyer Grips with the colt emblem on the side. 695 new in box. Sounds like this is the one I am going to go for. Thank you guys for all your help. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have good news on my purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.