1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Loaded Parkerized w/ night sights recently. Noticed it doesn't fit in my Mad Dog 1911 Gunglove, which fits all my other brands of 1911's.

Anyone know what part of the SA is of different specs than Colt, Kimber, etc.? I assume it must have a fatter dust cover, from where it is contacting the holster.

I was able to use a Blade-tech rig for range work by backing out the tension screws.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You have it right regarding the dust cover. It's bulkier and not as rounded as a Colt or a Kimber. It's different enough to cause the holster not to fit properly. FYI, Lou Alessi said that he does have different molds for his holster between the SA and other 1911s.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your correct on the front strap. I tried to put some wrap around grips on my Springfield and they would not fit. Fit my Colt great, but will not go around the Springfield completely.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am new to the forum, and a new 1911 owner. Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain to me several of the pistol parts/areas that I see discussed? It would be helpful if I could picture these in my mind. ... Specifically what is the "dust cover", and what is the "strap" ?

·
Banned
100 Posts
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast:
Originally posted by gklugie:
Specifically what is the "dust cover", and what is the "strap" ?
The dust cover is the area of the frame forward of the trigger guard. It contains the recoil spring. the front strap is just the front part of the frame your fingers curl around.

Example dust cover a Baer "MONOLITH". www.lesbaer.com

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
I just bought a used older model Springfield, one of the old late 80's/early 90's ones with GI sights and all. I can definitely say the front strap and dust cover are more rounded, and thus more pleasing to both hand and eye than the new ones. It's almost like Springfield figures the average owner is going to tear the gun down and rebuild it anyway, so they'll just leave it half-finished.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by JMG:
Your correct on the front strap. I tried to put some wrap around grips on my Springfield and they would not fit. Fit my Colt great, but will not go around the Springfield completely.
JMG,
I have what was once a SA loaded 45, (done so much to it can hardly call it that any more!) Anywho, I put wood wrap around grips (finger groove hoages) on mine no problem. Oh, did I mention you need to grind the frame down a bit in the frontThe front strap is more squared off than rounded. I use a crankshaft polisher to round mine off. I was having it refinished anyway, so no problem. The ruber finger groove grips fit without the fitting, but they were a little stretchhhhhhh to get on!
Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts