1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used SA GI.45. I noticed on the case it reads .45 GI milspec park pistol. Has anyone ever heard of that model. I though it was either a GI or a milspec. The model number is PW9108L. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
It is the "new" GI. A variation of the Mil Spec which is closer to being authentic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you are refering to the "Park" it is short for parkerized, which is a reference to the type of finish. The GI designation is an indication that your pistol is a world war two replica, your serial number may bigin with "WW" if it's a later model.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it does begin with WW. I could not find it on their website. What was a good price for a used one that was not fired??

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
the GI45's in my area are 499.00 new in the box. dont see many used ones around here.

the GI45 is a solid gun and def combat accurate.

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are the GI's for target shooting? I can get a used one that was unfired for 449.00. It has everything but the holster.

·
Registered
556 Posts
As far as target shooting is concerned, unless you're a really really good shot, it'll outperform you for the most part. However, you'll find the sights lacking at best. Better sights can be had without machining the slide provided you can find somebody to install them.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I picked up my new GI version on Monday and promptly did a quick light lube and went to the shop's range to put 100 of WWB FMJs down range. Would have posted sooner but I too got caught up in the Hotmail rejection pile for site registration.

It was an instant flashback to 1971, Ft Bragg pistol team, and my good ol' Remington Rand 1911 arms room clunker that became my 'best buddy' for several months and countless thousands of rounds of 1950s vintage hardball ammo..

Other than the expected need for a little encouragement from my left palm to go to battery a few times the pistol performed flawlessly, muscle memory returned and one-handed most rounds stayed 8 ring or better. All that was missing was the chant over the loudspeaker "Ready on the Right, Ready on the Left, Ready on the Firing line" - lol

I fully anticipate that now that it has been given a proper cleaning and lube and after I get several hundred more rounds through it the action will loosen up a bit more and it will be a pure delight to shoot. My plan is to leave it 100% stock.

As was the case 37 years ago when I first was introduced to it, the stock 1911A1 remains twice as accurate as the goof holding it in his hand. I am more than pleased with my purchase of a fine product from my home state.

Beretta Bobcat, Browning Buckmark, Kel-Tec P3AT, Bersa Thunder 380, Walther P-38, CZ-52 and at long last a new old friend Springfield GI 1911A1

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Great post RandyP. I've been trying to restrain myself from getting my own SA GI for quite some time (due to the expenses incurred by two small children), but the temptation is becoming too much to bear. Hope my wife doesn't kill me with it when I break down and bring one home. :(

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
My LGS was running a sale in the 'other' GI version with the 15 round magazine too, but my desire for something 'old' won out. The thicker grip on the higher capacity model; was also an issue.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
the 15 rnd version was on sale for $469, my 7+1 cost $499, only about $50 more than a similar Auto Ordnance 1911 in another glass case down the aisle. Comparing the two it wasn't a hard choice.

Now if only I didn't live and work in Cook County,IL I could buy internet ammo in bulk. I'll have to wait and buy while on road trips to 'gun friendlier' areas.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
As far as I know, there is nothing "new" about it. Same model number and naming conventions as mine from years ago. :scratch:
You are correct as I understand it. The new GI "is" essentially what the older MilSpec "was". But somewhere along the way the MilSpecs got the lowered and flared ejection port and the beavertail GS. So...along comes the "new" GI, back to the basics.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Now if only I didn't live and work in Cook County,IL I could buy internet ammo in bulk. I'll have to wait and buy while on road trips to 'gun friendlier' areas.
I was planning on moving to Chicago this spring. Luckily things fell through and I'll be staying on Long Island. New York is actually a much better state than Illinois when it comes to 2nd amendment freedoms. Hard to believe as NY is no Florida or Texas (truly progressive states). :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts