1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a SA Loaded Full Size stainless --it's my first 1911 and I'm very new to the 1911 scene and handguns for that matter. I have a question about the adjustable trigger that SA touts on their Loaded models. I've read the manual, which doesn't even mention the adjustability, and looked at SA's website, and I still can't find what exactly is adjustable on the trigger and how to adjust it. SA's website states that the trigger is adjustable for overtravel. Can someone please explain what is meant by overtravel and how to adjust it on the Loaded models? I guess I could call SA but I would rather receive a consumer's experienced point of view.

·
Registered
541 Posts
LL,Without getting into a long explanation the best thing to do is take out the adjusting screw,if not just leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...don't mean to be short...It's something that should be done by a smith or at least someone that understands the mechanism and how it oprates "correctly"...the trigger group on the 1911 is "THE" one place you don't wanna' muck around unless you know exactly what you're doin'...If you are having problems, now is the time to find the best 1911 guy around and strike up a relationship...In fact, find one BEFORE you need them...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Given what all have said above...Don't mess with it if the gun is working properly..What the adjustment they are talking about is a small set screw in the trigger that will bump up against the mag release. What it does is adjust the amount the trigger will travel after the sear has been released. If it is adjusted too closely or the screw moves, this will render the gun inoperable.

[This message has been edited by eerw (edited 07-06-2001).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just purchased a SA 2001 Loaded and also had the thought of messing with the overtravel screw. I called SA regarding this and was advised by Ryan not to mess with it and any adjustments needed to refer it to a gunsmith or send it back to them.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Super Moderator
3,114 Posts
"Overtravel" is noticeable continued rearward movement of the trigger after the sear releases the hammer. It bothers some folks more than others. Many 1911 triggers are supplied with a set screw in their face which can be adjusted to bear against the magazine catch (inside the frame) and limit this overtravel. One might presume that your pistol's screw was adjusted at the factory, but if excessive overtravel is present, you can adjust it as follows...

To adjust a trigger so equipped, make sure the pistol is unloaded. Remove the set screw and put a drop of blue Locktite on it and reinstall the screw. Cock the hammer and turn the trigger's set screw in until the hammer will no longer fall when the trigger is depressed. Back the screw out a bit at a time until the hammer will fall (and there is no "feel" through the hammer of it contacting the sear with the half-cock notch as if falls). Back the screw out a little bit more (for "insurance", so that a piece of dirt doesn't prevent the trigger from moving far enough rearward to drop the hammer).

That's that. Let the locktite dry and you're done.

Note that you should be easing the hammer down through this process and not just let it drop.

Rosco

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank everyone for their input on my question and with helping me understand my gun better and 1911's in general. I had no intention of adjusting anything on the trigger but I just wanted to know what the big deal was over the "adjustable trigger" that SA is expressing as part of their new loaded features. Thanks again everyone and I know I will have more questions in the future.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by LL:
..... I just wanted to know what the big deal was over the "adjustable trigger" that SA is expressing as part of their new loaded features. Thanks again everyone and I know I will have more questions in the future.
Take it from a sales and marketing guy, the big deal is SA is paying 5 cents more for their triggers, and getting $5 more in marketing!
Tom

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
You could do one thing.
make sure the screw is tight. if it turns freely you can have problems when you do not need them. don't try to break it loose, just see if it turns really free with light pinky pressure.
If you do go the locktite route, make sure it is on the screw, the slit runs down the trigger to the frame and you can locktite the trigger in place
not a goal.

geo ><>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts