1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

First post here. I've never owned a 1911, but it's been on my wish list since I was a kid. I'm basically a Glock guy. That's was my duty weapon (G19) for 15 years and I now carry a G26 since my retirement. I originally carried a S&W SS K frame .38 as my duty gun. I've always shot Glocks well and they have been very reliable, but I have never gotten over there cheap polymer construction or "toyish" looks.

I may still keep my 26 for summer carry, but I'm looking for a 1911 Commander size for the other three seasons to carry. I really don't want to go over 1K, but I want a well made, reliable and accurate all steel 1911. I'm not concerned with weight issues.

I've been doing a lot of online research and I've come down to these two choices, SA Loaded Champion and the DW CCB. The DW is a few $$ more and slightly larger (8th round in mag), but is it worth it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
DW . Worth it? YES. Welcome here. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently picked up the DW and it is absolutely worth it. I am in love with this thing. I think for the price you just can't get any better. It took me a few months to figure out what I wanted jumping between SA and others then DW entered the frame very late in the game. I am normally the kind of person to save the money, put in many research hours, and get to the store and decide I don't want it, or some other kind of buyers remorse. I gotta say I feel the same way about it as I did the day I picker her up.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I own and carry a S/A SS Champion, and do not regret the choose. Of course I modified it my way. The DW's were just to new for me. DWs really haven't been out long enough IMO to hear of anything bad about them. Although I read on this forum alot of good. I think either brand will suit you just fine. The deal maker for me was S/A lifetime warranty, not that I have needed it Good Luck in your pursuit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think it is worth the extra $$. DW offers a much more refined pistol with far superior fit and finish. They spend much more time on each pistol where as SA produces as many as they can off the line. I also think the bobbed mainspring housing will aid in concealment. Dan Wesson looks out for their customers and if you check out the DW sub forum you will find nothing but ecstatic owners.

·
Registered
242 Posts
DW all the way. My springfield is nice, but nothing next to my CBOB in fit and finish, or in comfort when shooting.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I have a DW CBOB (on my belt right now actually). I don't have a champion SA, but half of my handguns are SA products. You can't really go wrong with either as both are quality guns.

The first question to decide is do you want a bobtail gun. Some like it, some don't. It helps with concealability some, not a magic bullet by any means as you still need a good holster to hide it well. It feels different when you shoot it too. Switching back and forth between bob and non-bob 1911's isn't an issue, but it will recoil differently in your hand (not more, just different).

Dan's are made tighter than SA's. Most of us 1911 snobs really like this, especailly if we shoot alot (like I do). This can potentially be a draw back too. The common issue with tight tolerences is that they are less tolerant of dirt and grime- which hasn't been an issue for me, but Dan also uses very tight chambers in their barrels which has made my somewhat picky about ammo- especially the handloads I like to shoot. Overall though they are excellent guns. The only real problem is finding on to buy as demand far out weighs supply

Champions are shorter length wise than true "comander" size 1911's (4" vs 4.25") not much, but something to think about if length is a hot button for you. IMO SA's are built with a little more breathing room. Not loose, but definatly not DW tight. For example my TRP is a very well fit, tight tolerance gun, but the tolerences are just loose enough that it feels like it cycles a little more freely. DW and SA have excellent customer service, but SA wins in warrenty (lifetime) over DW (1yr). The champion also has a bull barrel/guide rod set up instead of the conventional GI setup the DW has. Advantages and disadvantages, but something to research and think about.

In the end I chose a DW in my quest for something commanderish sized. I mainly chose it because it had a bobtail right out of the box at a price I was willing to spend. In addition, I already had 3 SA guns (2 1911's and an XD9) so I wanted to diversify and try a different brand. Another plus was that is had the GI barrel and plug set-up so field stripping is a little more straight forward (and just like my other 1911's). I haven't really shot mine much thought so I don't quite have the raving reviews of mine that some have because we are still getting to know each other.

DW CBOB's have developed a HUGE following in the past year or two though. The Dan Wesson brotheren (they call themselves COTEP around here) will flood this thread with raving reveiws of the CBOB. Really they are both great guns with only slight differences. You can't really go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How about the Colt Defender?

Thanks for all your response. I'm leaning toward the DW. How about if I throw another 1911 into the equation, Colt Defender. I've read that Colt has improved its QC. What do you think? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
As much as I love my Colts, I will still have to lean towards the DW. :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EDIT: I meant to say the Colt Combat Commander not the Defender. All this research is frying my brain.:dope:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I agree on the DW CBOB. I have been researching for months on which 1911 to get. I even considered Ed Brown, Wilson etc. but I found there is a smaller percentage of unhappy DW owners than with Colt and Springfield. I will own a fusion and maybe a Brown in the future, but the fit and finish on my $992 CBOB is better than any similar priced Colt or springfield I have looked at. I can't imagine ever seeing a tighter, better fit gun.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'd put the colt squarely in 3rd place. I've looked at them, and they aren't as well made as SA's or DW's. Colt is riding on their name, history, and blind customer loyalty these days IMO

About anchor44's comment about less unhappy customers with DW....Colt and springfeild have mad EXPONENTIALLY more guns than DW. Remember that DW is a small company- they only make ~200 units of a given model PER YEAR. You probably don't hear about the problems because there just aren't that many DW's out there as compared to colts and SA's. All the manufs let a dud slip through once and awhile- its how that company takes care of their customer when they do that matters. DW and SA have excellent reputations for CS as stated.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw a SA TRP today!

Thanks for your replies. After some more research, Ive decided against to Champion and Colt Commander. I agree that the DW appears to be in a different league and a better choice.

I did however go to the my local GD this afternoon and he didn't have a DW CBOB in stock(big surprise), but said he could get on in about 2-3 weeks. He did show me a Springfield TRP Armory Kote w/o rail. Man, oh man what a nice gun. It felt great in my hands. Trigger seemed very smooth, light and short and thumb safety was easy to manipulate with a nice "click". The gun seemed a little heavy, but its a full size (I think its 42 oz unloaded). Now I'm starting to think about this TRP. He is willing to sell it to me for $1200+ tax. That's a bit over my limit, but I think it may be worth it.

I plan on carrying this gun mostly OWB in cooler/cold climates. Do you think this gun would be much more difficult to conceal and carry than a commander CBOB? Thanks

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Have a TRP and a SA loaded Commander. Very diffrerent guns and guess I'll have to keep both. :) If I really had to give one up - such a sad thought - I guess I'd own the Commander. My Series 70 Gold Cup is not even on the may trade someday list! But, where would I hang my SureFire??? WOE is me! :) The Kimber Polymer Custom would be first to go!

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Now that you said Commander I have to admit that the Combat Commander XSE is a great choice also. :)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
The SA TRP is definatly a very nice gun. I kind of baby mine, but I have no problem carrying 5" guns. Concealability is more dependant upon the holster you use than the gun you put in it. If you try to use a cheap gerneric holster, you'll show or print; If you do some research and buy a good OWB, you can hide pretty much anything...it just depends. I got my DW more for the bobtail than anything. $1200 is the limit I would spend on it though...if they want any more than that you are getting into a different range of pistols in a price range for which there are better values. The TRP is definatly good to go right out of the box.

2-3 weeks is not a bad wait time for a DW though. When I was shooping they won't even estimate on how long it would take to get one.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DW is a nice. I own a Classic CBOB and it is well worth the money.
Yeah, if you can find one. GD thought he might be able to get one, now he says maybe next year. Looks like there are NO DWs around here. Lots of Kimbers though, maybe because I live near the plant. My search continues.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts