1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ahve a SA SS Loaded with apox. 6-700 rounds through it. I thought that I had a problem with the guide rod becoming loose, but I took it out last week and it was fine. However, I shot it again yesterday and had several ftf. My somn also shot it and had the same problem, with both mags. It seemed to happen on the last or second to last round, but when we ejected and refed thge 1 round, it fired fine. I am not sure if we both could have been limp wristing or if it might be the ammo. I was using UMC. Ihave used winchester (white box) before and had no issues. Also, I have put about 250 rounds through it without cleaning it- ususlly I clean it after each trip-.

Could it just be dirty or a como of several of these circumstances?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have a new SA Loaded as well with last-round FTF's as well. This is usually caused by an overly tight extractor. The fix is to adjust the bend on the extractor -- if you know how to do this. I like to do this on a bench vise.

If you're not comfortable doing this, just have your local smith do it. Shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm having similiar problems. Today it jammed on the second round. Seems like the fired round does not eject and the next round up jams. Prior to this it was the next to last round doing the same thing. Thought it was the mags, but have used wilson's, mccormick power mags and metal form 7 rounders. all the same. Maybe 500 rounds at this point. Not haapy. Other than trading it for a Sig, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mike, this is easily fixable. In your situation, did the empty case stay in the chamber? (failure to extract?) Or did the empty case partially extract but not completely (failure to eject)? Either one of these can be easily fixed by a good 'smith. The extractor may not have enough tension in the first situation. I'm not as knowledgeable on failure-to-eject issues. Just never happened with my 1911's.

Even my Loaded had to go the King's Gun Works for a ramp and throat job, they also polished the breechface, tuned and polished to extractor ($55.00 total). The ramp and throat was probably not necessary, but what the heck.

Of the 10 1911's I've owned in the last 13 years, around 7 of them needed some type of minor work. After that, they worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, 1911's are like this. My Kimber Stainless Target, has not needed any fixing.

Why not just send it back to the factory?

Wish you the best. I wouldn't sell your gun though because the fix is easy. Just need patience with the wait.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts