1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this gun new just days ago, did a basic stripping and re-oiled it. Today at the range shooting 100 +rounds I had no FTF 1FTE (ammo, I believe). I shot at 10 yds only as this gun is for self defense and not serious target work. The problem I had was it kept a pretty tight group 2" it just shot about 4" low and left from POA.... What is my major malfunction??? I was shooting 50 Winchester white box, 50 S&B (more accurate) 10 Speer 230Grn. personal protection (also more accurate) and a magazine of Winchester SXT. I tried holding on target 6 o'clock and POA neither of which changed anything too much. Do I just need to keep practicing to break in gun or does the gun have issues? I shoot a CZ75 and .454 Super Redhawk and never had these problems before. Thanks for help and insight

·
Registered
281 Posts
Some SA guns shoot low, do a search on the SA forum. The main reason for this is the front sight, it taller than usual. I have the same gun as you and mine shoots POA. You can send back the gun to SA and use the lifetime warraty. Turnaround time is usually from 2-4 weeks, and SA pay shipping both ways.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Nothing unusual.
All out-of-the-box SA 1911s seem to shoot low.

Dunno why the factory can't seem to do a better job with this.
It's rather like the improperly-torqued barrel problem on Bushmaster AR15s.

It should be fixed promptly and thoroughly, and no gun should be leaving the factory that way.
While vertical POI will always vary a bit with load, a consistently-low POI is the rule with new SAs, even with factory 230gr ball.

Maybe they zero the guns for 440gr+P?

·
Registered
154 Posts
...They probably aren't zeroed at all...I don't think every SA shoots low anymore than I think all Colts are junk...or S&Ws or...fillin the blank...Every is a small word word with an infinite meaning...and there are lots of issues with all the manufacturers...not every one is perfect and the days of going back and forth to the bench after sighting in pistols before they leave are done...unless I hear it from the manufacturers that they really are zero'ing pistols from a range at x distance, I don't believe they are...I happen to think that most of the Colts, SAs and several of the other brands are MUCH better than they were 5 years ago...much less through all the various and sundry *special* issues that have been put out...Crap...they know how to make them, they just don't do it the way they used to...Things are better for 1911 buyers than they have been in years...If there is a *problem* with pistols shooting 2" low at 25 yards, I'm amazed that so many people even notice it. Used to everyone said they expected a 1911 to shoot all over the place unless they'd been to a smith for a re-work...wasn't true for most.You just didn't hear about all the good ones and you probably still don't...Not everyone has made their way to these boards, alot of them are out shooting!

·
Registered
422 Posts
It ain't rocket science, so don't over-analyize it. Adjust the rear sight if you can, or adjust the front sight yourself or let SA do it. Then go shoot and be happy. It never fails to amaze me how much we over-dabate everything on this board.

·
Registered
147 Posts
slow said:
I bought this gun new just days ago, did a basic stripping and re-oiled it. Today at the range shooting 100 +rounds I had no FTF 1FTE (ammo, I believe). I shot at 10 yds only as this gun is for self defense and not serious target work. The problem I had was it kept a pretty tight group 2" it just shot about 4" low and left from POA.... What is my major malfunction??? I was shooting 50 Winchester white box, 50 S&B (more accurate) 10 Speer 230Grn. personal protection (also more accurate) and a magazine of Winchester SXT. I tried holding on target 6 o'clock and POA neither of which changed anything too much. Do I just need to keep practicing to break in gun or does the gun have issues? I shoot a CZ75 and .454 Super Redhawk and never had these problems before. Thanks for help and insight[/QUOTE

Slow,
to check the height of the front sight, remove the slide from the frame and set it on a known flat surface with the front sight to your right. get a bubble level long enough to sit both on the front and rear sight. check the bubble to see how level it is. if the bubble is to the right of the center then the front sight is high. the front and rear sight should be the same height. you can either send it back to the company or remove material slowly from the front sight checking frequently with level until bubble is centered. you can also perform the measurement with a dial caliper. HTH
Rick

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine shot low. I returned it to Springfield. (Springfield paid for shipping both ways.) Springfield replaced the front sight. It shoots to POA now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Champion shooting low

Put a couple boxes thru the gun and see if it stops shooting low. My Champion shot low and left when I bought it. The rear sight was shifted and I centered it, it was still shooting low but centered. After 2 boxes of 230gr reloads and federals, it is now shooting POA. Don't know if it need breaking in or for what ever reason it is shooting POA.

SA Champion
Colt Gold Cup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts