1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have six SA mags. Two came with the pistol, they have a solid followers and have been totally reliable.

Subsequently I ordered four more from SA. These have split followers and will not reliably feed the first round from slide lock. They are all iffy when the gun is cold, and will all fail once I've been on the line for a while.

Last week I tried an experiment. Once the problem started I tried loading fewer rounds in the mags. (They are all 7 rounders, BTW)

I found that the problem was lessened if I went to 6 rounds, and went away entirely if I only loaded 5 rounds.

Question: Does this tell me anything about the springs in the mags that are having this problem? Specifically, could I solve the problem by using Wolfe's(sp?) higher power springs.

Many thanks.

jps

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track by switching to extra-power springs. BTW, I always load one less than capacity on all my guns. (ie, Wilson 8 rd. - I only load 7). When most mags are loaded to capacity, there is a chance (small, but I've seen it happen) that the spring coils will get tangled up when loaded fully. This usually only happens on old springs that have lost some "springiness". Mags springs that are loaded to capacity are compressed to 1/2" or less. Going one less round allows the spring to decompress slightly so that the individual coils are not as likely to interfere with each other as the the mag is emptied.

I know I have opened a can of worms here (ie, why use 8 rd. mags. if you're only putting 7 rds. in...) but it's just a little quirk I have about loading -1 on all mags.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts