1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever wish they had a Springfield Armory version of the Ultra Tool? Well I have one and it's very nice! Ron

Dimensions

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it doesn't even snap in place and will hold the slide to "almost" the correct place to pull the slide stop. The way the guide rod assembly is made I would need to have one made with an oversize addition on the back to hold the slide to exactly the right place. I thought about it, but was able to easily move the slide the small amount needed. I modeled it after the ultratool that is made in Texas for the Kimber. The trick for the operator is the flat along the bottom. A traditional round tube won't clear.

I have no plans to sell them as it was burned out on a hot wire mill in a research machine shop. I took the measurements and one of my friends made it for me. This one probably cost $250 labor and machine time... LOL.. BUT is could easily be made from a one inch piece of brass tube with files and a little grinder.

I'll be happy to post the dimensions for everyone.. Cheers.. Ron

That is nice. Is it easier to pop on then the OEM? Are you selling these?

·
Registered
135 Posts
How neat. I just think Springer could have done a better job at designing this tool. I am not a big guy, but I have difficulty getting that little black plastic thingy to snap!!!!!

Would be great to have something easier to apply.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The micro is a royal pain to break down, especially when new and I am a big guy:biglaugh: The best way I've found is to place your left thumb through the trigger guard and the rest of your had around the front of the slide. Use the right hand ro pull back the slide and hold it there with the left. The tool makes it easy work. I'll post the dimensions a little latter today.. Possibly a drawing.. cheers.. Ron

How neat. I just think Springer could have done a better job at designing this tool. I am not a big guy, but I have difficulty getting that little black plastic thingy to snap!!!!!

Would be great to have something easier to apply.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The micro is a royal pain to break down, especially when new and I am a big guy:biglaugh: The best way I've found is to place your left thumb through the trigger guard and the rest of your had around the front of the slide. Use the right hand ro pull back the slide and hold it there with the left. The tool makes it easy work. I'll post the dimensions a little latter today.. Possibly a drawing.. cheers.. Ron
:p

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the crumby pics in the original post with new ones that have diminished and added a few procedural pics.. Two easy minutes tops now.. Cheers.. Let me know if you have questions or need additional data. Cheers Ron

·
Registered
135 Posts
I replaced the crumby pics in the original post with new ones that have diminished and added a few procedural pics.. Two easy minutes tops now.. Cheers.. Let me know if you have questions or need additional data. Cheers Ron
That is so so super!!!! Now if I can find a smith that can make one of those for me!!!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You can do it in the garage, really.. Or any local machine shop can. This one was machined from a block of brass, but the one sold for the kimber ultra is made from a simple brass tube. If you had to.. you could buy the one for the ultra and cut it down yourself. I may send the dimensions of my new one to the guy that makes thew ultratool. Possibly he'll start making it as well.. Let me know if i can help you with it.. Ron

PS: The ultratool guy is making them for the SA EMP and I sent him my dimensions for the Micro. Google 1911ultratool and you'll find him

That is so so super!!!! Now if I can find a smith that can make one of those for me!!!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with Richard Ketchum (1911ultratool guy) this evening and he's going to make a tool for the Micro soon. Check his site and leave a message if you want one. Cheers.. Ron

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Pleasure

My pleasure... I could arrange to have one made for you here, but it would have been lots more money. This way everybody wins:) Ron

PS: Richard is a real nice Texican and he'll take care of you..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got my ultra tool yesterday. I bet within 5 minutes I had to test it. This little item is fantastic. So much better than the plastic tool provided by SA.

If you own a compact w/3" barrel, you really need one of these gems.

Thanks to Ron and Richard. Now if SA could design a little hidden compartment to store this jewel!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts