1911Forum banner

SA Mil-Spec = Is this Normal???

1180 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  deezulsmoke
I got to handle a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec 45 today at my local gun shop. Finish looked good & it felt great, BUT It was VERY hard to rack the slide back & the slide release was also VERY difficult to operate. :scratch: Is this normal for one of these NIB Mil-Specs??
I am still new to 1911's, I always carried Glocks & Berettas in my former cop life. Thanks, Bill.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Well i ain't no genius..but my uncle whom is a retired USMC personnel once told me ...when handling his .45..to facilatate the slide action, cock the hammer first. This way your not fighting the main spring when moving the slide. (also you have a 18 to 20 lb spring on the slide) YOU NEED TO Just becareful to not have your finger on the trigger. That was 30 years ago and i do it with all my single action autos with exposed hammer. Good luck and enjoy your springer!!!

· Registered
4 Posts
The mag release being so difficult to release probably meant there was mag insterted. The follower pushes up on the slide lock to hold the slide open on an empty magazine (I'm sure you already know this I'm just reiterating). Well that was a brand new magazine (and magazine spring)...so you were fighting a tight mag spring most likely. My SA loaded was the same way with new mags.

· Registered
8,302 Posts
i just handled my own NIB Mil Spec yesterday and she seemed to be not much different from my other 1911's in regards to ease or difficulty of operation so something does sound out of whack there for whatever reason. with mine there was no difficulty racking or with the slide stop.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

· Registered
117 Posts
nullrout said:
I mean slide release when I said mag release...sorry bout that. But what I said still stands...my SA Loaded takes both hands to release the slide lock when an empty mag is insterted.

Why would you ever release the slide lock with an empty mag in the gun? :scratch:

· Registered
668 Posts
nullrout said:
I mean slide release when I said mag release...sorry bout that. But what I said still stands...my SA Loaded takes both hands to release the slide lock when an empty mag is insterted.

That's probably because you are having to press down on the magazine follower which is holding the slide lock in place....as it is designed to do. I can't think of any reason you would want to drop the slide on an empty magazine.

If you drop the magazine or replace it with a full one, the slide lock release should operate alot easier.

FWIW

dj

· Banned
1,659 Posts
And as was said, I would not be in the practice of letting a slide go on an empty gun. Put a dummy round in the mag and try it again. I sling shot all of my guns by grabbing the slide, pulling rearwards and then letting it go.

Deez.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.