1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read where AO's new production 1911s (since they were bought out by Kahr, and retooled) are supposed to be pretty good for a no frills milspec 1911, and they're about 80 bucks cheaper than SA. Anyone know how they compare to the SA MilSpecs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i just bought a SA mil-spec over the auto-ordnance WWII. i tried to find someone who had some experience with the new Kahr owned AO's, but could find no opinon. The price difference here was only about $40 more for the SA. the AO looked well made, but since the guy at the gun shop, and no one i talked to had shot one (in fact i had a hard time finding one to even look at). i decided the price difference was not worth it to be a guinea pig.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been wanting a report on the AO 1911s, myself.
Hope to see one from someone who does decide to be a Guinee Pig!!
Pat

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wow, this is exactly the same decision I am trying to make: Auto-Ordnance or Springfield?

Auto-Ordnance seems to have had a poor reputation in the past, but I guess they have gotten their act together. Springfield, on the other hand, seems to be synonymous with the term "quality". My biggest debate is about where the gun is manufactured: Auto-Ordnance seems to have their guns mostly made in the U.S., but the Springfield Mil-Specs come from Brazil. Should this be an important factor in making my decision?

Also, Auto-Ordnance 1911s have not yet been approved by the CA DOJ, while Springfield has. I e-mailed Auto-Ordnance, and they are planning to submit their models for approval this August, but if they fail to pass the test, I'll be going with the Springfield.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Since neither of these guns is a real 1911A1, I'll throw in my two cents FWIW. I can't speak about the AO, but I do own 2 2001 SA milspecs, and as I've stated numerous times in recent posts, they are fantasic. If you can find one for retail or less, I'd recommend snatching it up. They are military looking enough to add as a representative 45 to a military type collection, but the addition of throated barrell, lowered and flared ejection port, and 3 dot sights make them awfully good to take to the range. Plus, accuracy has been exceptional. I also would like to see and try one of the AO, but I think I'll wait until I have something I want to trade (doesn't seem to hurt quite as bad as laying down full cash). As with most guns, the first runs or so often are the ones with bugs. I think I'll hold back for a while until I read some articles, or better, talk to someone who has actually owned one before I buy. Right now with cash I'm going to stick with SA 1911-A1 or Colt 1991A1.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Originally posted by col132:
Since neither of these guns is a real 1911A1, I'll throw in my two cents FWIW.
Then what would be considered a real 1911A1?

(No sarcasm intended; I would really like to know.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts