1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....It's been a few years since I reloaded much for the 1911A1; but I remember coming across an occasional shell where the rim was pretty bent; but otherwise the case was fully servicable.

.....Anyway, for this, and some other reasons, I bought a pair of .45 Convertable Ruger Single Actions- I think of them primarily as .45ACP Revolvers.

.....I am not looking to turn them into Magnums; but I'm wondering if anyone has a good pet load- just a little on the stiff side for an autopistol; and taking advantage of the Revolver's ability to handle square nosed bullets.

.....I don't remember the number; but there used to be a very sharp cornered 220 grain lead semi-wadcutter that most local shops stocked; and I've never seen an autopistol that would feed them reliably. With the short nose, and extra large meplat, that'd probably be close to ideal for the Rugers; if I only knew what to look for.

.....Anyway, thanks.

.....RVM45 :confused:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
Don't take my word for it, but you should be able to shoot .45 Super in your Ruger. Not much in the way of factory ammo, but I think you can get a 230gr bullet well over 1000fps (depending on barrel length, of course).
Are the Ruger cylinders relieved for .45 Auto Rim brass, or ACP only? AR is supposed to be somewhat stronger than ACP.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hunter's Supply casts a 275 grain .45 bullet. It is a big TC, with much of the weight forward. I have fired several from my S&W 625, with good results, both in Auto-Rim, and in ACP cases with clips. I had good results with Power Pistol.

250 to 255 grain SWC's are also widely available, and work well over a charge of Unique or Power Pistol.

There is a Lyman mould specifically intended for .45 ACP revolvers. It is a 238 grain Keith style SWC, and it has a very wide meplat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts