1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to find out if SA makes a 4" barrel pistol of steel frame/slide. Also need to be matte or parkerized. I have been looking at buying the Kimber Pro Carry II HD, which is made of steel, but I don't like the Stainless Steel finish. Would buy the Pro Carry II, only the slide is made of steel. Is the Champion only in stainless steel finish? Is it made of steel? Is the Compact made of steel? Last question: How does SA pistol which fit the above criteria compare to Kimber's Pro Carry? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Perez

From Springfield the Champion is the comparable pistol to the Kimber Pro Carry. If I am not mistaken Springfield does make several versions of this pistol beginning with a Champion Mil-Spec ( standard frame, 4 inch slide, both in parkerized or matte blue steel) . The next step up is the "Loaded" version which offers many of the popular options, including stainless, Armory coat on carbon steel, and an aluminum frame. The next step up would be a Champion size TRP, though currently this configuration is only available by special order, or sending your Mil-Spec/Loaded back to the Custon Shop for re-work.

Concerning a comparison between a Springfield Champion and a Kimber Pro Carry, I would buy the Springfield before the Kimber any day at any time. My current Springfield (a WWII Mil-Spec) is proving to be a great pistol, plus one feature the Springfield has that the Kimber does not is a ramped barrel. Plus, if necessary Springfield appears to work harder to make sure that if you need to return your pistol it is taken care of.

The last time I checked out the Springfield website the Compact had an aluminum frame, and I do not know how long this has been the case. A call to Springfield's customer service might tell you if any steel frames might be in the distributer pipeline. Though if you know all of the features you want, a Compact version of the "Custom Carry" could be made with a steel frame. When you visit the website do look at the Custom Shop pages.

Last if you are open to another suggestion. Take a look at a Colt Commander (product number is 1991). These have a 4 inch slide with a 4.25 inch barrel, are available in blued steel, and they are very good pistols.

Str8_Shot

1 - 2 of 2 Posts