1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I shoot my TRP Op in IDPA? Do any of you guys shoot this gun in competition, and if so what class do you shoot in? Sorry if this sounds dumb, I've been thinking of getting into some competition but not sure where to go with this gun. Thanks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Mblaster said:
Can I shoot my TRP Op in IDPA? Do any of you guys shoot this gun in competition, and if so what class do you shoot in?
Heck yeah you can. You will shoot it in the Custom Defense Pistol division. It would be ideal for IDPA.

As long as your 1911 is limited to iron sights, no porting, no bull barrel (with the 5" barrel), and a 5" max barrel length, no full length dust cover, it's IDPA legal.

I use SA's Trophy Match, which is similar to the TRP except with adjustable rear sight, In IDPA CDP division.

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
While your Operator is indeed illegal for IDPA, you might want to ask the match director if they have an "outlaw division" you could shoot it in.

I have a few shooters that I score as "outlaws." Most of them are IPSC shooters looking for more trigger time. In fact I have an Operator I converted to 38 Super that I sometimes use.

Your Operator would also be good in a USPSA/IPSC match. Get a fistfull of 10 round mags and you should be good to go.

Both the IPSC and IDPA websites have downloadable rulebooks and club finders. www.uspsa.org www.idpa.com

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am with Tom, ask about shooting it for no score if you just want more trigger time. We let guys who have carry guns like a comped SA or a 5 inch revolver shoot for fun.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Most of the matches around here let you shoot, within reason, what you like(normal carry weapons). Most of them around here are "bragging rights" matches and practice for national matches. Granted your Operator Springer is not legal for shooting in IDPA according to the rulebook, but most of your local matches will let you shoot with them. Since you have a 1911 platform weapon more then likely they will toss you in with the CDP shooters. Find out when the next local IDPA match is and call the range and ask if you can shoot your Springer in the match. If they're anything like the people are here they'll tell you to "come on down!" Most ranges that put on IDPA matches love to have new shooters come and shoot. Before you go to a match, visit www.idpa.com and read the rules and other helpful information they provide to new shooters. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts