1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
I just located and picked an early SA TRP Tactical 45 ACP for a song. According to SA some of the early ones were shipped with Novak sights that did not have tritium. Mine does not have the night sights. The gun is in excellent shape and does not appear to have been shot much. The only thing I can find at this is the rear sight is set too far to the right and will have to be centered for me. This is my first SA as my other 1911's are a Clark Custom Kimber Stainless Classic, PRO CDP, Ultra Carry, and a Wilson Combat CQB. My plans at this time is to shoot the s--t out of it and when funds allow send it to a custom smith for the works. My question is has anyone had any experience with this gun good or bad.
Thanks in advance.
Long live the 1911

MOLON LABE

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
No, I have not got to shoot one yet. How much did you pay for it? I have 2 dealers close by that have used ones in like new conditon, I would have to pay about $900.00 for either one. They are also Novacs w/out night sights.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UdontnoME
I got the SA TRP for $600. Know the gunshop owner and work part time for him. I centered the rear sight, cleaned and oiled then went to the range. The SA surprised me as off of sandbags it grouped dead center at 1.2 inches.
In this case I guess the SA two piece barrel is not so bad. I'm thinking of sending it to a smith and having it worked over.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Excellent weapon. Great bang for the buck. All the bells and whistles, and is fit excellent. Wouldn't worry about the night sights. A lot of great 45's were built prior to Novak or Heinie night sights. Geez Greg. A lot of guys spend 2K to get a gun to shoot 1.2 in. You've got one for $600. Why spend money and gain maybe what, a few more tenths? Sounds like you got a fantastic deal and a fantastic gun as is.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
col132

I guess that I'm anal sometimes. I have a Clark Custom Guns Kimber Classic stainless and a Wilson CQB. Both of them will shoot under 1 inch off of sandbags if I do my part.
As a retired LEO I know that needing a gun to shoot that small a group is not needed in the real world.
I was thinking just getting a good action job a match barrel and a refinish. After shooting thr TRP I think I will skip the match barrel.

Long live the 1911
MOLON LABE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts