1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
Picked up a like new V10 on Sat. and took it to the range Sun. I'm a 1911 newbie, but I have an HK USP .45 Compact and a Glock 30 which I'm very happy with, and use in IPSC/IPDA meets.

Anyway... at 10 yards on rest, the SA V10 is very accurate, but groups are 6 inches below the point of aim. Essentially, I have to aim at the top of a 25 yard standard target to hit the 10 ring at that range. I shot Winchester 230&185 FMJ, American Eagle 230 FMJ and PMC 230 FMJ, all with the same results. Also, I think the previous owner changed the rear sight to a shallow "V" with centerline night site (I think it's a Ashley Express). I'm working on geting the date of manufacture, but I'm positive that it's a pre-98 gun, because here in Mass., dealers can't sell Springfields b/c of the crazy legislation.

Questions:
Is this a common problem with compact 1911's? I've looked through Brownell's, and there seems to be quite a few aftermarket rear sites for compact 1911's out there that are apparently specifically made to correct this issue. When were the first V10's made, and what kind of sights were they equip'd with? Any recommendations on replacement sights, if it's just a sight issue?

I'd hate to take the piece back as they are very hard to find here in this state (I need to move
). Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A lower rear-sight profile would make the gun shoot low. A few millimeters or less would cause the POA to drop 6" at 25 yards--easy.

Sounds like a sight issue. Sounds like the previous owner changed the rear sight. Current UltraCompact uses Novaks night sights. Springfield offers adjustable rear sights for their guns.
www.springfieldarmory.com

They have an 800 number: 1-800-680-6866

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
jmarotta

Since you mentioned that you have other 45's, I will assume your situation is not flinch, so that will eliminate the obvious. Are you sure the sights are Ashley Express sights? If they are you should visit the Ashley Express web site to see what the proper sight picture should be. The Ashley sight system uses a different dot system (big dot, or small dot) than other makers so the sight picture is also different.

It could be that you are using your normal sight picture which puts things low for the Ashley sights, or your sight set is mis-matched.

The Ashley web site is here: http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts