1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a WWII mil-spec at a fun show recently. I've also got a Kimber TLE II and Compact CDP. I thought the SA would be a nice gun to use to learn more about the 1911. I admit to being somewhat ignorant about disassembly further than just a simple field strip. After trial and error, I've managed to completely disassemble and reassemble the entire weapon............finally. I had a bit of trouble getting the thumb safety back in (I eased the corner a bit so it is not so stiff).

Last night at the range, I fired 200 rounds, bringing the total for this pistol to 700. Believe it or not, the only problems I had were that it left the last round stuck on the extractor three times, each with a Wilson Combat 47D mag. The McCormicks all worked flawlessly. When I was finished, and paying for my lane time, the guy checking me out asked if I was shooting the Kimbers, because I just shot out the X ring of the targets. He was as surprised as I was that it was the Springfield.

I painted the front sight white, and painted a white bar on the rear, just because my eyes refused to pick up the sights. Now, it is a very accurate shooter, and very comfy.

I have one question. The grip safety has very sharp edges that wore a rectangle in the web of my thumb. I don't get pinched by the hammer, just cut by the edges of the GS. Is it worth it to ease those edges myself, or should I try a drop in GS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Take your pick...

I have a pair of WWII that I simply removed the GS from and took a dremel with the sand paper bit and removed some material on the edges.

I am gong to get some goop to touch up th e parkerizing, but, it fits ALOT better.

For my Mil Spec, I just swapped out th eGS and hammer with a Kings Beavertail and Wilson "Value" commander style hammer. (It also has Hogue wrap around grips)

I hope to post some picks of my handywork this week. (the work with the dremel)

I found that after I already had the dremel out, I used some polish and the polishing bits to clean up the throat of my 1911s as well as the sliding surfaces.

-Warlock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,545 Posts
greygun

I suggest that instead of using adremmel, get some sand paper, wrap it around a 3/8 inch dowel and gently buff the lower corners of the grip safety. Start with some fairly coarse sandpaper then step up to a finer grade a time or two. Remember to be gentle and clean the surfaces between each sanding. With a little luck you can give the edges enough rounding to stop the cutting and not really make the work visible. it may take a few interations, but this works and it is not as easy to over do as a dremmel can be.

Good luck.
Str8_Shot

PS. Those WWII Mil-Specs do shoot don't they.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I have the same problem with the grip safety - just touched it up with the Dremel last night. Will go to the range today to see if it still bites...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I have eased the edges and it is MUCH better. I can't believe that the frame/slide fit is actually tighter on this pistol than on my TLE. It has been a real joy, and I'm looking forward to tinkering with it. I put in a new thumb safety yesterday, and added some black micarta slim grips. Another 300 rounds out the pipe and all is well in OKC!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Well, fired mine today with the Dremeled edges - and am gonna order a new grip safety. It is better, but that narrow profile still digs in uncomfortably. Noticed Brownells has a King's drop-in beavertail that is supposed to work with a spur hammer, so I believe that's the safety for me....
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top