1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that use Saeco .45 ACP Moulds #68 and #69, the 200 gr. and the 220 gr do you have any load data you would like to share? Any help would be appreciated.

Also someone mentioned putting Dacron between the bullets and the powder. We've searched Wal-Mart and other stores and could not find Dacron but Polyester. Are these two materials the same or used in the same way?

Thanks in advance.:confused:

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
I don't cast pistol bullets, commercial bullets are good enough and cheaper than my time is worth; but I have loaded a bunch of 200 grain SWCs. I have used a variety of powders and see little difference from one to the others. But I am not a 50 yard slowfire shooter and don't need the utmost in accuracy. I start with a manual load and adjust it to either 850 fps for power factor 170 as required for IPSC Major or IDPA CDP; or to the lightest load that will function my gun.

What applications do you have in mind?

Dacron is the duPont trade name for polyester fiber; same stuff.
However, you do NOT need a filler in .45 ACP, nor most other cartridges.

Use of fillers is advanced post-graduate handloading technique done by a very few enthusiasts with very particular needs. The only popular press writer I have seen who still talks about it is Ross Seyfried in Handloader Magazine.

If you don't get it right, you are at risk of ring-bulging your chamber. I don't need it, don't do it, and don't recommend it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
As Jim mentioned, no need for filler in .45 ACP. I use buffer in a few cast bullet loads for my shilouette guns. As Jim also mentioned, "If you don't get it right...." I had about 60 years of experience supervising me when I started.

Eddie

·
Registered
256 Posts
I cast using the HG 68 type mold by lyman and one from nei throws 2 200 #68 and 2 200 BBWC. Its awful hard to beat Bullseye at 4.4 grains in standard 1911s. The velocity on my well used rem-rand is around 800 and on my newer Springfield 855.

Bullseye is dirty, but it is the powder that the gun was designed around

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use Titegroup it's suppose to be less sensitive about its position in a large case making a “filler” moot. My load is 4.7 under a 200gr LSWC (HG 68) for about 850 fps in MY gun.

Ed

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have never heard of anyone using any kind of filler in handgun rounds, only rifle and with heavy cast bullets in cases like 45/90. You just don't need it like the other guys are saying.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use a Lee 220 gr mold. My favorite load is 3.9 gr of clays with an oal of 1.235

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
I mold the Saaeco bullet you asked about. I have been using 5.1 gr. Win 231 for practice and it seems to work OK in my two Norincos and Para P 14. I have not got a Chrony so cannot tell you velocity. Load is accurate enough. OAL 1.235. that is for the 200 gr SWC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts