1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Safari Arms Matchmaster

It came in well loved. It left with purpose. My customer requested the gentle touch of the Black Hammer and I delivered starting with a detailed cleaning. New springs from Wolff. A trigger job which includes all internals polished. Mags drop free under stress. Clearance between the hammer strut and grip safety. Clearance between the dust cover and slide. Barrel throat polished. Front sight dressed and touch up with Super Blue. Polish the barrel hood. Lightly blast the trigger pad. Polish the grip screw heads. Polish the sides of the hammer. Glass bead blast the frame, slide, and all other external stainless steel and aluminum parts.

Before

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Beautiful work. Well done!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Are you 100% sure about that?
100%. Someone installed a Videcki style trigger in your Customers' pistol. And...Glenn-SC is correct about the grip screws. They are not original also.

Glenn's pic is of a later "Scheutzen" 6" model and an early "Enforcer". My Matchmaster is exactly the same as the one you worked on. Been collecting them for years...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
^No problem. We're all here to learn. You did an excellent job of cleaning that old Matchmaster up! And...mine is not identical in that it has the big "Safari Arms" billlboard on the side of the slide. Your customers' just states "Matchmaster". Mine is a little earlier than yours.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He told me the other day it was built about 30 years ago. I’m not from this area and I don’t know the history of Safari Arms before they became Olympic Arms.

Can I see what all of y’alls feed ramps look like? This one I have is....interesting. It’s just one a few things that raised an eyebrow when I took it down and began to work on it. The inside of the frame is not what I would consider a good fit and finish.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
He told me the other day it was built about 30 years ago. I’m not from this area and I don’t know the history of Safari Arms before they became Olympic Arms.
In a nutshell:
  • The original manufacurer of these "finger-grip" frame pistols was M-S Safari out of Phoenix, Arizona.
  • M-S Safari sold to Olympic Arms in the mid 80's.
  • Olympic Arms kept the "Safari" name but instead of stamping "M-S Safari" on their pistols, they stamped their pistols with "Safari Arms" and their location of Olympia, WA.
  • Later, Olympic Arms dropped the "Safari Arms" moniker and just stamped them with "Olympic Arms".
  • Still later...Olympic Arms started stamping them with their "Scheutzen" label. These "Scheutzen" guns were the last models before Olympic Arms shut down their 1911 line after the death of their head gunsmith Richard Neimer about 3 years ago.
  • Lastly, about a year ago Olympic Arms shut down completely and is no longer in business. :(
I'll see if I can't get you a picture of my feed ramp later...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sharing. There’s one thing that’s not accurate. Olympic Arms is still open for business.

So Scheutzen came toward the end. I had a Richard Neimer built pistol on a Caspian titanium double stack that came in for service not long ago. The slide has the Scheutzen moniker and label on it and it was setup for 9x23 Winchester. The difference between these two pistols were quite the contrast. It made me wonder where on the timeline those two were.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
There’s one thing that’s not accurate. Olympic Arms is still open for business.
Well I'll be danged...you're right. I just visited their website. Evidently something changed to where they didn't close up shop completely. They said they were shutting the doors about a year ago. Interesting...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I forgot to get pics and my client picked it up yesterday. He told me that he monkeyed up the feed ramp with a dremel and that he’s not the original owner. He wasn’t feeling well so I didn’t get into much of the history.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts