1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by okhandgunner:
Anybody know anything about the Safari Arms line of 1911 pistols?
I one 1 and a buddy of mine ones 2 and we love it---best keeped secret 1911 for the price out there...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
And they have the Randall mirror 1911 blueprints. I've even seen the Portsider advertised, but I've never seen a Safari 1911 ANYWHERE, with my own eyes, much less a mirror.

TRB

·
Registered
84 Posts
okhandgunner,I was going to ask the same question myself, i just got off their web site, and I don't live to far from Olympic arms, and their prices are not bad, but I don't know how good?or how well built?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,382 Posts
Karl, there's a WAC show at the Puyallup fairgrounds this weekend. There is a table full of Olympic barrels and frames, maybe some complete guns, for you to take a look at. The guys who man the table are either employees of or distributors for Olympic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm looking at getting one (or even 2) of these. I'm gonna start with a cohort, and if I like it, I think I'm gonna get a matchmaster w/ 6" barrel. The features and price combination seem hard to beat.

Anyone compare them to similar kimbers?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Olympic had a small table at Camp Perry last year, and I handled several models. Considering that table samples are usually assembled with extra care, these did not impress me. Basic rack grade rattletrap tolerances. Nothing wrong with that for a utility piece, but I'd need some convincing that their "match" models had anything extra going for them. To be fair, the display had a hasty look to it, and perhaps the production peices are better. Just my impression at the time. Of course, if you want one of those funky "finger groove" frames, these guys are the only place to go.

-MD

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,382 Posts
According to their ads, all of their guns are now custom shop items. I don't know if that means they build them to order, or that they're "production custom".

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I have had many,They all shot good.For some reason I sold them all.Still don`t know why.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
FN went from forged frames and slides to cast on the Hi-Power about 1994. From all reports, the cast items are significantly tougher and stand up better to high pressure ammo. I wouldn't be put off by the use of castings - it is the type of steel, heat treatment, that counts. I must confess to having been more confident with the term "forged". But the proof is in the eating, as they say.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got a safari Matchmaster 1911. Haven't taken it to the range yet, but it seems VERY well made. Nice and tight, the finger groove thing is comfortable, fit and finish easily on a par with kimber. Unless it turns out to be a real dud at the range, I'd say this is a winner...

As an update, I took it to the range. Will post about it under range reports...

[This message has been edited by grawk (edited 03-11-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sned45, I also recently purchased a Big Duece. I am absolutely awed by it's balance, reliability, and accuracy. I have shot many 1911 variants, but none has satisfied me more. My third clip out of the gun put seven in the ten ring at twenty five yards.

[This message has been edited by grayowl (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sned, I cannot see how a Valtro could make my grin wider than the Big Duece has done. If the Valtro is lighter, I don't want it. If it's shorter, or has a larger mag capacity, I don't need it. I love that big ole Duece. I must admit that is not the perfect carry gun; makes you walk like John Wayne.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts