1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people really have a qualified safe professional service the lock work on their safes regularly, as is recommended in the manuals? I always though they just lasted forever.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Been thinking about greasing the S&G lock on mine for the last 10 years.
Never quite got to it.

·
Premium Member
13,971 Posts
Good question, I doubt many at all, but will listen in.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Never really thought about it. Great now I have a new project.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
S&G calls for a light silicone grease.
Grease the center wheel post, boltway surfaces, torque adjuster ramps (around the outside of the wheel post) & on the inside of the lever bushing where it rotates on the lever screw.

I'll get to it someday. Maybe.

·
Registered
670 Posts
S&G calls for a light silicone grease.
Grease the center wheel post, boltway surfaces, torque adjuster ramps (around the outside of the wheel post) & on the inside of the lever bushing where it rotates on the lever screw.

I'll get to it someday. Maybe.
Well, I’ve never done that with my S&G mechanical dial combination lock since purchasing the Sun Welding (California) Pony Express safe 24 years ago.

Noticed recently that it was taking several attempts to get it open, and today it finally failed. After dialing the code, it just slides past the last “stop” loosely and the Door handle won’t budge. The file folder containing the safe manual and emergency key are missing/misfiled from its usual place in the file cabinet.

Tried spraying Hoppe’s bore blast cleaner in the keyhole and around the dial in hopes of loosening any gummed up tumblers, but no go.

Tried the online trouble shooting suggestion of doing the combination numbers then rattling the handle back & forth then bashing the dial face with my hand. Also a no go.

Suggestions please? :confused:

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Well, I’ve never done that with my S&G mechanical dial combination lock since purchasing the Sun Welding (California) Pony Express safe 24 years ago.

Noticed recently that it was taking several attempts to get it open, and today it finally failed. After dialing the code, it just slides past the last “stop” loosely and the Door handle won’t budge. The file folder containing the safe manual and emergency key are missing/misfiled from its usual place in the file cabinet.

Tried spraying Hoppe’s bore blast cleaner in the keyhole and around the dial in hopes of loosening any gummed up tumblers, but no go.

Tried the online trouble shooting suggestion of doing the combination numbers then rattling the handle back & forth then bashing the dial face with my hand. Also a no go.

Suggestions please? :confused:
A locksmith?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Locks S&G are actually very inexpensive and easy to replace. I replaced the lock on my field and stream safe right after I brought it home. I have one to replace my 40-year old lock on my first safe. Locksmith’s cost way more than new locks... JMO

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have two safes with S&G locks, the oldest one for slightly over 30 years. They have never been even slightly sticky or otherwise recalcitrant, so I have never even considered lubricating them.

·
Registered
24,654 Posts
I service my RSCs about as often as I service my refrigerator.

And my mail box.

However When I picked an older AMSEC TL-30 a few years ago at action. I had it checked out for a couple of reasons. Plus I wanted the combination changed and I was not sure how to do it.

It turned out to be a really good thing that I did. A relocker wire was about rusted through. To quote the locksmith he told me. "if that relocker had dropped on you, you never would have gotten in this thing again."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts