1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting a safe for a few months. My main reasons for wanting a gun safe are to protect from theft, fire, and my kids (7 yrs and 11 months).

I only own 2 long guns, and 3.5 pistols (conversion kit is the half).

I have home owners insurance that would replace any losses from fire or theft. After ordering a Fusion 1911 a couple months back I decided to up my insurance by a couple thousand. The increase was only 3 dollars a year!

So this has me thinking. Do I need a safe? I could get a lockable gun cabinet to keep my weapons away from the kids. The insurance would replace losses from fire or theft.

In your opinion, what are any other benefits of getting a safe?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are any of the firearms antiques?

Do any of the firearms have value other then monetary?

In my case I have some old firearms that could not be replaced by a trip to the local Gun Store so that factors in for me. Having money from the insurance company would not be good enough to replace some of them. If you just have modern firearms with no sentimental value that could easily be replaced then whatever secures them enough for you should be fine. A steel cabinet is easier to defeat with tools or carry off then a safe.

I assume you have double checked the policy for firearms. My home owners has a cap so I need to raise the cap or go with specific firearm insurance.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Kamau,

You can never have to much ammo and you can never have to much security. My homeowners policy covers $2,500 in personal firearms. I also photograph, record serial numbers, list any upgrades (i.e. hard chrome, laser, sights, grips, pistolsmith work) and give this information to my agent for a separate policy on each gun. The reason for that is in the fine print of the typical policy. I want a total replacement amount if a gun is lost (to disaster) or stolen. I keep them stored in giant safe surrounder by six of the meanest house cats know to man:biglaugh: Okay, I made that last part up. The cats aren't really that mean:)

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of my guns have any real sentimental value. The only one that wouldn't be easy to replace is the Fusion, since it's custom ordered. I am about to double check my insurance policy to make sure firearms are covered in the total amt of insurance I have. If not I'm going to lower the total amt and increase the firearms amt.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I say go with a safe. Yeah, you will get some insurance money but I know I build a bind with my weapons. I wouldn't want to lose them and have to start over.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are any of the firearms antiques?

Do any of the firearms have value other then monetary?

In my case I have some old firearms that could not be replaced by a trip to the local Gun Store so that factors in for me. Having money from the insurance company would not be good enough to replace some of them. If you just have modern firearms with no sentimental value that could easily be replaced then whatever secures them enough for you should be fine. A steel cabinet is easier to defeat with tools or carry off then a safe.

I assume you have double checked the policy for firearms. My home owners has a cap so I need to raise the cap or go with specific firearm insurance.
I'm glad you said that. After checking my policy I noticed it only covers 2,000 for firearms. So, I lowered my policy by 5,000 and added firearms insurance to it. Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm glad you said that. After checking my policy I noticed it only covers 2,000 for firearms. So, I lowered my policy by 5,000 and added firearms insurance to it. Thanks.
No problem. That is pretty typical. There is usually a cap for firearms and also Jewelry in a standard policy.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Another reason for going "above and beyond" with a safe is to keep our guns off the streets in the event of a break-in.
Bet you'll like the Fusion.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have been contemplating insurance on mine, too. I have a fear of telling my insurance company what all I have, though. Maybe I am just paranoid. They'll need serial numbers, etc. I have concerns they may cancel because of the "safety" issues some knucklehead says they pose, or that the feds will have the potential to get the info.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have been contemplating insurance on mine, too. I have a fear of telling my insurance company what all I have, though. Maybe I am just paranoid. They'll need serial numbers, etc. I have concerns they may cancel because of the "safety" issues some knucklehead says they pose, or that the feds will have the potential to get the info.
That is one reason I am considering a separate policy on my Guns through a place the specializes in it. Of course I could just be being paranoid. If I go with a place the specializes in Gun Policies and I scare them away I will wear that as badge of honor. :rock:

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
The potential financial loss aside, I think you also have a moral obligation to protect your firearms from theft. The vast majority of used in crimes are stolen from legal owners. Since you're asking the question, I, assuming that any of the 3 options is within your means.
Quality safe, period.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Unless you buy your guns second-hand, don't the Feds already have your serial numbers?

What kind of safe is a good one? Minimums for wall, floor & ceiling thickness? Should the steel be hardened or armored? I would love to need a walk-in, but just something for a couple long guns several pistols & some ammo would really do it.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another reason for going "above and beyond" with a safe is to keep our guns off the streets in the event of a break-in.
Bet you'll like the Fusion.
wccountryboy said:
The potential financial loss aside, I think you also have a moral obligation to protect your firearms from theft. The vast majority of used in crimes are stolen from legal owners.
That's about the best reason I can think of to get a safe, for anyone who already has insurance and has no sentimental ties to their weapons.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My insurance company didn't ask for any S#s. But I do all my stuff online, so that may make a difference. It really doesn't matter though, because if someone steals them you're going to have to provide the numbers to the PD anyway, and I'm sure that police report would have to find it's way to your insurer.

My insurer has a section for specialized insurance, like computers, antiques, and sporting goods. Firearms fall into the sporting goods category. They don't ask how many or what types you have, just how much you want insured. The cost for me to add firearms insurance to my policy was about 33 cent per month.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The insurance will replace the stolen gun, but will it replace all the damage done by that gun you allowed to fall into bad hands? Could you live with yourself if you learned that your decision to not secure your guns resulted in arming a dangerous criminal who used it to kill people? I believe that as gun owners, we have a responsibility to make sure our guns stay where they belong. Get a safe and sleep better at night.

Yes, I have insurance on my guns (capped at $10k, but have an additional policy for my most expensive guns individually), but they are in the safe when they are not with me or my wife.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Could you live with yourself if you learned that your decision to not secure your guns resulted in arming a dangerous criminal who used it to kill people? I believe that as gun owners, we have a responsibility to make sure our guns stay where they belong.

My guns are in a safe to protect my children and my friends and neighbors children. That is my responsibility, I believe. But I'm not responsible for the violent actions of criminals. They are. Do you keep your butcher knives locked in a safe? Would you feel responsible if a criminal stole your hatchet and killed someone with it? Where shall we draw the line? What if they steal matches from your house and burn down a school. Is that your fault too? I prefer to place the blame on the person that knowingly and willfully commits the crime.
L.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My .02:
I believe as responsible gun owners that a gun safe is the prudent thing to use to protect our guns from being stolen and used in a crime. There aren't too many lobby groups trying to take our butcher knives or our matches away from us. I agree though, it is the criminal's fault.

I'd like to add another perspective on safe ownership as well. While on leave prior to going on deployment 5 months ago my house was broken into and the criminals knew they had time...they stole my entire gun safe! However, I was in VA at my father-in-laws hunting cabin so I had every gun I owned with me, they got an empty safe:biglaugh:

Since I am military and move so much I had opted for a lighter safe and chained it down versus bolting it to the floor properly. They came back for round two with bolt cutters and got the safe. My lesson learned was to go ahead and get the heavy safe and have it properly secured, it just means my wife will have to buy lighter furniture to make our quota!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'm glad this subject is being covered. Made me wonder about my own insurance. My policy is a full replacement type policy on house & contents. It gives a value for the house & a value for "Personal Property" without mention of firearms, either yes or no. So, I need to check with my provider to be sure that they are covered.

P.S. The safe is on my short "to do" list. Property taxes in Jan. & then a safe.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I had a gun stolen out of my apartment, the sweetest browning 20ga. surerposed o/u. State farm is my insurance carrier, now I found out the hard way your guns are covered if you have standard homeowners like I did $2500.00 per occurance, meaning if they break in and get 4 guns you will only get $2500.00 minus your deductible! My superposed had xxx fancy wood on it, I lost out about $1500.00 for just the stock and forend.

Moral of the story is BUY A SAFE, forget the cabinets. Even though you only have a few guns the safe will fill quickly with jewelry, cameras, documents/passports, high value stuff. My wifes good jewelry is in a small plano tackle box lined with cotton, works just fine and it all stowes in the safe very neatly.

Roy

1 - 20 of 52 Posts