1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine linked to me to the "Safety Bullet" today since he found it interesting. And well... it is... um... interesting.

In my opinion, it looks useless unless you are looking to add another level of "child proofing" to your gun.

Just curious if anybody else has seen these? And do they seem silly to you also? Or do you find it to be a very good idea?

Here's a link for y'all: http://www.safetybullet.com/

·
Registered
694 Posts
looks like a good excuse for a ND "oh i thought there was a safety bullet in there":dope:

ill take the 4 rules and a lockbox

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
It's a complication I can do without, thank you!

There are no youngsters in my home, and most of my firearms are well secured. I'm darn sure not going to put a "safety bullet" in the firearm that's currently on my belt.

That thing shouldn't be called a safety bullet, or a safety cartridge; I suppose some will say it's a safety device, but that object is neither a cartridge nor a bullet, as we customarily use those terms. :(

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like a good excuse for a ND "oh i thought there was a safety bullet in there":dope:

ill take the 4 rules and a lockbox
Couldn't agree more sir

·
Registered
35 Posts
This looks like something that could get you killed if someone breaks into your home at 3am. Removing the safety bullet would be one more thing to remember to do in the heat of battle. No thanks, I like keeping things simple.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Totally agree with Tincan ^^^^^ that's just something else to do when you need your gun in the heat of battle. I can see how they could market it to families/adults (who don't know any better) with young children-who don't know any better; but what if a kid pulls the trigger, subsequently locking it up, and the same day you need it without having checked it...now you have a "locked up" pistol that you need to shove a rod into. May as well just keep a empty weapon around with the loaded mag hidden :confused:

I won't waste my money, thanks anyway :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
If that guy would keep his damned finger away from the trigger, maybe he wouldn't need to invent safety bullets. He had a finger on the trigger while slamming a little rod through the bore.

What if a kid.... racks the slide twice?

·
Registered
856 Posts
These are unsafe do not buy!!!!!!!

child can rack it.

you could need it and be unable to get it.

it encourages leaving a firearm lying about the biggest no no in the world. I made a whole page rant on xdtalk. basically purchase is irresponsible.

·
Registered
651 Posts
It seems that If I had children in the home, I could UNLOAD my guns for a lot less than $25.

Wait a minute, I did have children in my home and kept my loaded gun on my person. When my children were old enough to start learning * they were taught gun safety daily. They're full grown and so far have not needed a $25 safety bullet.

* about 3 years od

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I thought I had seen just about all of the idiotic ideas - but then comes the "safety bullet."

If you don't want a live round in the chamber, just put a mag in the well and don't rack one.

If you don't want a kid to get their hands on the gun, lock it up.

When your heart is pumping 100 mph, start screwing around with a dummy round in the chamber, no.....wait, there's another one in the mag. Or did I eject that one last night when I was testing the safety feature? Wait, wait....did I use the special rod to unlock the slide? Darn it all, what's that noise coming up the step? Hey there, you out there, I've got safety bullets in here!!!!

Geez......

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen :(

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would say more retarded. Really when milliseconds count, let me chamber a round 2ce and hope that that the other person has a MF or has safety bullets in his gun also.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Nobody even mentioned that the rod used to free the "safety bullet" looked and sounded like steel. Slamming a steel rod down the MUZZLE end of the gun. We don't run BRASS rods thru the gun from the muzzle end when we clean them. Geez this is stupid...is anyone on the left actually USING their minds, or do they just follow blindly?

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
TEST QUESTION:

1) Too easy to:

A) Rely on this device to eject properly when you need it to.
B) Rely on this device to work when you need it to (the kids got the gun)...
C) Allow this device to stand in place of safe firearms handling/storage practices.
D) Mistake the device with live ammo (as previously noted by double o pie)
E) Forget which way the revolver rotates (revolver in the wrong starting position).
F) All the above.

Here's an idea...Let's not rely on a mechanical device (this or any other) to keep kids (or others) from accidentally using a gun. Store them unloaded with the ammunition seperate. Even if you train the ones that live with you...they always have friends who weren't party to the training.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It will never work --if a drug crazed, gangbanger, meth head is breaking into your house and gets the gun from you --Every punk has learned from tv that you have to rack the slide first before you shoot, thus ejecting the safty bullet.

Now on the serious side, who in their right mind would ever think of this and who in their right mind would use it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts