1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Looks kinda like some of the other magic bullet nonsense out there, no offense. I wonder what size and depths of wounds these things do in ballistic gelatin or animal tissue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mus said:
Looks kinda like some of the other magic bullet nonsense out there, no offense. I wonder what size and depths of wounds these things do in ballistic gelatin or animal tissue.

I don't know. Those exploded clay blocks look pretty convincing to me.

M

·
0 Posts
I notice they don't mention the penetration depth other than to say one inch. Looks like it is just deep enough to maim. I wouldn't consider maiming to be less than leathal. Maiming falls under the same laws when speaking of deadly force.

I'd stay far away from that load. Marketing hype at best.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Have heard tails of Old West shooters that would load their shotguns with a stack of dimes....appears to be a variation of an old idea.

M

·
0 Posts
You reminded me of something. Myth Busters did a segment on that very thing. Loaded a 10 Gauge with dimes and backed off and fired at a pig carcuss with a coat and shirt drapped over it. The dimes all bounced off.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Ryansfortyfives said:
I don't know. Those exploded clay blocks look pretty convincing to me.
Thats probably why they used clay instead of some other medium that would close back up after the initial shock.

Other than the 1" penetration before breakup Im still left wondering how deep those little fragments get.

If it isnt very deep I would have to say you are far better off with 00 or 000 buckshot.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Windows?

I'm not sure I understand it when they say that windows will absorb the energy. Does this projectile not go through a window, but can leave big ol' wound channels in flesh? How can that be possible? Am I interpeting it wrong? Anyone out there actually fired any of these? I believe Mus is right on with the 00 buck.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
00 buck or #4 buck would be my first choice, the Safetydisc would probably stop someone trying to
get in and do harm to family, those holes HAVE
to hurt like hell!but I'd rather put the BG down!
:D

·
Registered
728 Posts
Seven Ring said:
I'm not sure I understand it when they say that windows will absorb the energy. Does this projectile not go through a window, but can leave big ol' wound channels in flesh? How can that be possible? Am I interpeting it wrong? Anyone out there actually fired any of these? I believe Mus is right on with the 00 buck.
It means hitting any of these objects will deminish the energy of the round, meaning if it hits a window, yes the window will likley break, but once the round gets through the window all of it energy will be lost,(once it hits something it dumps all its energy in that object, ie all of its energy went away once it breaks the glass) therefore it will have no power to overpentrate the window and hurt someone walking by or standing outside.

So based on that info, my thoughts or question is this round may work just fine if someone breaking into your house happens to be naked, but what if they are wearing a coat ot anything but a skin tight T-shirt, it seems to me anything that has any bulk to it would in essence absorb this energy, yes it might hurt like hell to be hit, but all your gonna do is piss off the badguy, not take him out, I guess you would have to go for a headshot.

Clay is of little use for thier bragging rights, I'm no pro baseball player and I can through a baseball hard enough into a pile of clay that would leave what appears to be a serious "wound" in the clay, but I could also hit a person with a baseball and it would hurt like hell but not penetrate there skin or cause a huge "cavity" like wound as it appeared in the clay.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm with Ryan. I'd really like to see this load tested on some gelatin. It might be really effective. Or it might be completely useless.

M

·
0 Posts
My money would be on useless. And since Ryan brought the topic to the board, I nominate him to send the shells to box o truth.

Anyone care to second? :D

M

·
0 Posts
Ryansfortyfives said:
Hmmmm....I also agree. However, since I do not have $20.00 to spend on a box of 5 shells. I propose that we take up a collection. Or that we waint until I have 20 bucks to burn.
Well since we don't run collections on the board :D I guess we will have to wait for you to come up with 20 bucks. :rock:

Bound to be somebody nearby that needs their yard mowed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts