1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday night. I had a friend over, who has a Styer 40 M series. Since we were going to a bar, we both opted to leave our pistols in my gun safe.

He has common sense, and from what I have seen , he handles firearms with maturty.

No to my problem.

My safe is always holds guns unloaded. So, when he gave me his pistol, I went to check the chamber by pulling back his slide.

"oh, no," he says, just look at the little button on the back of the slide to see if it is loaded"

"No", I say, I dont rely on that, I need to see sunlight in the barrel to make sure.

I want to know if people are starting to rely on these "devices" thinking that they are better than actually looking at the chamber???

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have one pistol with a loaded chamber indicator, and I'm trying hard to forget it exists. It's been said a million and one times. "I use the safety between my ears." A loaded chamber indicator may have some merit in a tactical situation, but not as a safety check. It takes only a second to look into the chamber.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A mechanical device can fail.

A press check will not. Honestly, I don't know if any of my firearms have a loaded chamber indicator. Of course, every gun is always loaded as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I always check any weapon that is handed to me or I handle. Even if the person just checked it in front of me. Good habit to have IMHO. I too rely only on what I see in the chamber area. I do not and will not rely on chamber indicators.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They're ALL Loaded

If I am in a situation where I must unload my weapon, nothing less than a visual check of the chamber & a "quickie pinky" down the pipe will do. Open the cylander for revos. No loaded chamber indicator or other device will do. Let me repeat, I will NOT trust what a mechanical device tells me about a firearm I am to consider unloaded.

I own (1,2,3,4...) several handguns. Most are loaded & ready to go. I assume any weapon I come across in my house is loaded & ready for action. Just safer that way. Things will change once kiddoes enter the family. Only weapons on my person or locked in a combination safe (incl those quick-access jobs) will be loaded. Nothing under key lock or in a rack will be near rounds & live rounds will be under lock until the kiddoes are outta the house.

BTW, the "quickie pinky" works best on larger-bore weapons, as my pinky generally can't go far down 9mm/.357 chambers. Good 'nuff reason to buy .45s, IMO.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I do not like about all these new laws. All of a sudden it places new safety devices on guns, that seem to "take over" common sense. It really seemed to me that my pal is relying on the pistol itself to "TELL" him that it is unloaded.

I always check the chamber, even if it has been checked before. If I do not, then there is something in my head that raises a flag telling me that something is not right.

The rules of gun handling has not changed for me in 25 years, it shouldnt change now that the government is putting devices on the pistol to "help" people be safe.
Reliance on this sort of thing is a bad trend, IMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts