1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchase a delete plate, from brownells and I will like to install it in my 1991. I herd it will eliminate extraparts and inprove your triger.
The question is will it void my warrenty with colt?

A friend told me he wants to do it also, but was concern with the hole left in the slide. He said carbon will build up. I don't agree.

And imput on this improvment will help others as well.
Mitch:rock:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I always left my firing pin safety parts alone. #1 I don't like holes in parts where there is suppose to be something #2 I can't really tell they are there in the trigger pull. I have both with and without and they all feel fine.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Putting aside the debate on the usefulness of this modification, Colt will still warranty your pistol. If the problem is caused by your modification of factory parts, they will charge you for the work.

Understand that if you send your pistol to Colt for any warranty work, its going to be returned to you with all of the safety devices in correct working order. Meaning they are going to pull the useless widget out and replace all of the Series 80 safety parts. They may or may not charge you for the parts and labor to do so.

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
Pulling the Series 80 safety parts rarely improves the trigger pull. Tuning the parts, just like tuning the hammer/sear/disconnector (if needed) is what really improves the trigger pull. On a properly tuned gun, you will not be able to tell that the parts are in there for anything over a 2-3/4 to 3 pound pull.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
I hated them back in the mid 80s when they first came out, but these days leave them in, a any decent 1911 smith can give you a great trigger with them in there and doubt you will notice any improvement in your trigger if all you do is take them out.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
My choice is to remove the 80 parts and add the *delete* plate.
I don't care about the warranty and I'm not afeared of ND (negligent discharge, not North Dakota!).
I want ease of detail stripping and ease of cleaning.
There is no way to put a value on the peace of mind that goes with simplicity...as originally designed.
This is an easy decision for me with any 80 series pistol.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
You can remove the levers, insert the plate and leave the plunger in if you use a series 70 Firing pin. That way you don't have an empty hole in the slide.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
mitch, what BBBBill and dakota said. Thirty years after the introduction of the Series '80 system, I still see so much about how it has such a negative effect or trigger pull, JMB didn't design it, it is hard to detail strip and reassemble, and on and on. The effect is a few ounces of extra pull weight. It does not degrade the quality of the trigger, and adds a simple, reliable and durable safety feature. You will not likely notice any difference in trigger quality in taking out all the series '80 parts. I have one of those little spacers I bought years ago, and I have several Series'80 guns, the little spacer is still in the package. The hammer, sear and sear spring, which together with the mainspring, determine trigger quality, do not know if there are Series '80 components installed or not. Yes, it is possible to use the little plate and a series '70 firing pin. The FPS plunger will then permanently ride on, drag on and slow the firing pin. I sure don't recommend it. JMB didn' design the gun that way either. I mean no offense, but I routinely see 1911 owners asking very basic questions about 1911 type pistols. Questions that indicate that they are not very familier with the internal parts, what they do and how they interact, yet they are all ready to tear into one of the most critical aspects of the pistol's function and safety, the fire control components. I'd suggest obtaining copies of the Kuhnhausen manuals first, and get an idea of how critical and sophisticated the interaction of these seemingly simple parts are to the safe and reliable function of the 1911 type pistols...ymmv

Again, as a guy who ruined his share of 1911 parts years ago, thinking I knew how it alll worked, I mean no offense.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I purchased a used Colt with the shim already in place of the "safety" parts. I purchased the parts but had a timing issue that probably would be solved by the "N" lever. But, never purchased an N lever. I'm leaving it as is. This isn't my first 1911 and none of the others have the parts. Browning didn't design his gun with those parts. Personally, and I could be very wrong, but I think there is more chance of the safety parts malfunction than my dropping the gun and the muzzle hitting just right so that it discharges. Maybe I'm jaded by the timing issues I had. I don't know if I would take the parts out of a new Colt but if I did, I would just replace them before sending in for warranty work.

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
...Browning didn't design his gun with those parts...
Browning designed based on what he was asked to design. He didn't design beavertails, lightweight triggers, extended thumb safeties, ambi safeties, high visibility sights, etc, etc, etc. He was a great man and a great gun designer. He was not infallible nor GOD-like. Be thankful that he left us with a solid platform that is so amenable to personalization and improvement.

·
Registered
247 Posts
A general maxim for "modding" your 1911:

If you're adding, deleting, changing, or modifying parts...

...and you don't know why...

DON'T!!!!!!

Here endeth the lesson.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Browning designed based on what he was asked to design. He didn't design beavertails, lightweight triggers, extended thumb safeties, ambi safeties, high visibility sights, etc, etc, etc. He was a great man and a great gun designer. He was not infallible nor GOD-like. Be thankful that he left us with a solid platform that is so amenable to personalization and improvement.
I don't believe that I spoke of Browning as "GOD-like" nor am I unthankful, but your commentary is fair enough and true. I merely spoke my opinion, right or wrong. So anyway, why do you believe that the safety system was added by Colt? Further, why not added by, probably, the majority of other 1911 manufacturers?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
A general maxim for "modding" your 1911:

If you're adding, deleting, changing, or modifying parts...

...and you don't know why...

DON'T!!!!!!

Here endeth the lesson.
Goes in one ear and out the other...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I don't believe that I spoke of Browning as "GOD-like" nor am I unthankful, but your commentary is fair enough and true. I merely spoke my opinion, right or wrong. So anyway, why do you believe that the safety system was added by Colt? Further, why not added by, probably, the majority of other 1911 manufacturers?
Colt produces pistols of both designs. I own Colt's of both designs. All of my Series 80 retain fully functioning FPS.

I'll ask you, why does every modern pistol design incorporate drop safeties, firing pin safeties or other passive safety system?

Colt's Series 80 safety system, when unmodified or modified by competent individuals, has proven reliable for 30 years. It takes nothing away from a good trigger that the average person would notice and can be tuned by competent persons to be all but undetectable by those that would notice.

The majority of people who come here asking about disabling the Series 80 system are persons new to 1911's or firearms in general. Arguably the ones that would realize the most benefit from the system.

I'm not advocating for or against the Series 80 system, simply that the hate for the system is an overblown internet meme, bordering on the stupid that accompanies MIM parts.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Colt produces pistols of both designs. I own Colt's of both designs. All of my Series 80 retain fully functioning FPS.

I'll ask you, why does every modern pistol design incorporate drop safeties, firing pin safeties or other passive safety system?

Colt's Series 80 safety system, when unmodified or modified by competent individuals, has proven reliable for 30 years. It takes nothing away from a good trigger that the average person would notice and can be tuned by competent persons to be all but undetectable by those that would notice.

The majority of people who come here asking about disabling the Series 80 system are persons new to 1911's or firearms in general. Arguably the ones that would realize the most benefit from the system.

I'm not advocating for or against the Series 80 system, simply that the hate for the system is an overblown internet meme, bordering on the stupid that accompanies MIM parts.
Fine post but not relevant to anything in my reply. I have no agenda here. I was responding to BBBBill and asking for his opinion and I'll ask again to anyone who wants to weigh in.

Why do you believe that the safety system was added by Colt? Further, why not added by, probably, the majority of other 1911 manufacturers?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I have an old Shooting Times magazine from 1983 around here someplace. In an article, a Colt representative discusses Colt's reasons for adding the Series '80 fps system. Their reasons are valid IMHO...ymmv

Trike, the only time I've seen the firing pin plunger damaged in that fashion, is when a trigger, with overtravel stop adjusted improperly, is installed in the gun. What you have shown is not a defect in the Series '80 system.

AzPilot, excellent and concise answer....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts