1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My springfield 1911 has a problem. When I put the safety on then pull the trigger it feels a little bit of mush. When I drop the safety the hammer drops to half cock notch. It is either a sear problem or thumb safety problem. I have had this problem since I did a detail strip a year or two ago. I have fired it a few times since then but not that often. The parts shouldn't be worn or damaged as it is practically new except for the detail strip and my error putting it back together. ANy ideas? Thanks ~JA

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Sounds like a part fitting problem. If the gun is original Springfield then call Springfield and tell them what you're dealing with. They'll likely have you send it in to get fixed.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Strip it and reassemble it, this time paying attention to the instructions. ;)

You may not have to go any farther than checking the sear spring. I'm guessing it's mis-installed or twisted.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Chuck S said:
Strip it and reassemble it, this time paying attention to the instructions. ;)

You may not have to go any farther than checking the sear spring. I'm guessing it's mis-installed or twisted.

-- Chuck
I'll second what Chuck said, does sound like the sear spring.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry for jumping in on this but my question is related.

Someone's been telling me of a feature in GI 1911s which I find hard to believe. The 3 GI 1911s I have access to do not exhibit this behaviour.

1: Rack the slide or cock the hammer
2: Thumb Safety ON
3: Pull Trigger and drop the Safety to OFF while keeping the trigger pressed.
Now the hammer will drop to half cock. Is this true?

The person says he uses this technique at times to decock to half cock on a loaded chamber. And also he was complaining that this feature had stopped working on his GI 1911, he fitted new parts (trigger, etc.) and got this featue working again.

AMK

·
Registered
498 Posts
Pardon me for saying this AMK but your friend is playing with fire. or more accurately, playing with an AD.

Eventually the half-cock notch/ledge will break or round off and this guy will be most surprised when the gun goes off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine is a springfield gi. And the previous poster is correct after the half cock notch wears off it won't catch anymore and this will be a problem.

I am going to buy a new sear spring. I think I bent mine when I reassembled it after the field strip a long time ago.

Nobody has done any trigger work to this. I bought it new in 2006 and aside from the botched reassembly on my part its a brand new weapon.
~JA

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Scant Safety Disconnect needs adjustment

allenj03 said:
My springfield 1911 has a problem. When I put the safety on then pull the trigger it feels a little bit of mush. When I drop the safety the hammer drops to half cock notch. It is either a sear problem or thumb safety problem. I have had this problem since I did a detail strip a year or two ago. I have fired it a few times since then but not that often. The parts shouldn't be worn or damaged as it is practically new except for the detail strip and my error putting it back together. ANy ideas? Thanks ~JA
We learned about that unsafe condition in a 1911 Amorer school. Your pistol has a DANGEROUS CONDITION called a "Scant Safety". Most likely cause is the Shelf on the Thumb Safety Lobe had been reduced too much. You need a new Thumb Safety and your Disconnector Spring may also need adjustment. Get a qualified 1911 Pistolsmith to correct this condition. You owe it to yourself and others in the shooting community. NATIONALMATCH :rock:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I: repeat ... stock parts un modified ... the pistol is new aside from my poor assembly and possibly bending the sear spring not that I am discounting your opinion because thats why I asked this here. Thanks for your opinion though.

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
Chuck S,
How would a mis-installed or twisted sear spring affect the proper operation of a thumb safety?
:scratch:

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's what I thought and see on the 3 1911s I have access to. But this guy still insists that it should fall to half cock.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Pistolwrench has got it right. The portion of the thumb safety that blocks sear movement is either worn or has had too much filed off duirng fitting allowing some sear movement pressing the trigger with the safety engaged. When the safety is pressed fully down the sear moves out of the way completely and the hammer falls.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
amk said:
Sorry for jumping in on this but my question is related.

Someone's been telling me of a feature in GI 1911s which I find hard to believe. The 3 GI 1911s I have access to do not exhibit this behaviour.

1: Rack the slide or cock the hammer
2: Thumb Safety ON
3: Pull Trigger and drop the Safety to OFF while keeping the trigger pressed.
Now the hammer will drop to half cock. Is this true?

The person says he uses this technique at times to decock to half cock on a loaded chamber. And also he was complaining that this feature had stopped working on his GI 1911, he fitted new parts (trigger, etc.) and got this featue working again.

AMK
I'm really glad you posted this "method". When the reaper stops by for a visit, I can die a happy man knowing that I've FINALLY heard it all.
:hrm:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
disconnector spring and reduced lobe

pistolwrench said:
Chuck S,
How would a mis-installed or twisted sear spring affect the proper operation of a thumb safety?
:scratch:
In one of my three Factory 1911 Armorer School exercises. The Instructor who had worked with Colt showed us how a "Scant Safety" is achieved by mindless reduction of the Thumb Safety Lobe. In the class exercise, he demonstrated that the problem of a Hammer Follow Thru was particularly acute when the Disconnector Spring was exerting little Tension on the Disconnect with the reduction of the Thumb Safety Lobe. He flipped the Safety and sure enough, the Hammer Followed. A Light Disonnector Spring and Reduced Thumb Safety Lobe seemed to do it and he proved it to me in class. We also got a laugh at one of the 1911s brought to class. Someone in the factory had been too cheap to install a new Thumb Safety and did a terrible job at weilding up the Lobe. Rather then just install a new Thumb Safety. That gaves us a laugh and I will not mention the brand....... :rofl: NATIONALMATCH

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
A mis-fit thumb safety is a mis-fit thumb safety. There is no connection to a damaged or mis-tuned sear spring.
Internet advice is often worth just what you paid for it. I'm afraid some new folks to our forum judge the quality of advice by the respondent's post count. 7000 posts does not make anyone a solid source of information.
Assemble your 1911 without the grip safety. Watch how the thumb safety interacts with the sear. Watch how it does not interact with the sear spring.
With the thumb safety in the 'on' position, only NO perceptible sear motion is acceptable.
The 'click' test is only useful as a field expedient tool, not in the shop.
One of my previous posts illustrated mis-fit thumb safeties. Use the search feature to locate it, if you want.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts