1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing a thumb safety on a SA GI 1911, the sear spring came out. Now I can not remove the safety. I have a drop in kit I am trying to install. Can anyone offer a suggestion? This is obviously my maiden vogage with the 1911s. Thanks in advance.

· Banned
13,763 Posts
I'm quite confused. The only way the sear spring can come out is if the mainspring housing is removed. And the mainspring housing has nothing to do with the thumb safety. :scratch:

· Banned
7,478 Posts
Position the hammer near the "half cock" position and start the technical process known as wiggling the thumb safety until it comes out. There's a sweet spot where it will come right out with some pressure on the opposite siide.

-- Chuck

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe nothing, but since the sear spring came out, I can not remove the safety. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that they were related. If the sear spring is not related, then the hammer position may be the critical part.

· Registered
3,900 Posts
Hammer cocked or back and wiggle the thumb safety up and down while pulling it out to free it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.