1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone played with the Sako TRG or Blaser R93 bolt guns? How do you like 'em? They shore are expensive tho!

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The Blaser R93 is a pretty revolutionary piece of equipment. I have the synthetic stock model with .338 WM and .257 Wby bbls.

The bolt is a straight pull back design and its locking lug arrangment is actually a collet with expanding fingers that lock into the lug recess when the bolt closes.

I like the take down feature and caliber interchangeability, which is what initially attracted me to the design. Broken down into its components, the stock along with two bbls with mounted scopes can be transported in its 14" x 32" fitted case.

Changing from one caliber to another is a breeze. If for instance, you are changing from one belted magnum to another, it takes about 2 minutes and all you need is the T-wrench that is supplied with the rifle. Changing from a magnum to a non-magnum standard caliber requires changing the bolt head as well, which adds only a couple more minutes to the ordeal. The scope and mounts are affixed and dedicated to each bbl, so there is absolutely no loss of zero when changing calibers.

Accuracy with the 2 bbls I have is sub MOA with factory ammo.

Weight of rifle with a factory supplied 1 pound mercury recoil reducer installed in the stock, tips the scales at 8 pounds with scope. Light enough for carrying in the mountains all day and the mercury recoil reducer makes shooting the .338 pleasant, even from prone.

The R93 straight pull back bolt is incredibly fast to cycle and is as fast as any lever or pump action I have ever used.

Factory trigger pull on my gun is a crisp 2 pounds.

The blind magazine can be somewhat slow to reload, but 4 shots is usually plenty on game unless your having a really bad day.

One thing that takes getting used to is the tang safety which actually un-cocks the gun when applied. You have to push it forward and down to activate and then forward without the downward pressure to re-cock. Throw in a little stress and it is easy to not disengage the safety unless you make a mental note not to bear down too hard with the thumb when removing from safe.

You're right about them being expensive. Value is in the eyes of the beholder I suppose.

Tony

[This message has been edited by T. Kanaley (edited 11-17-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts