1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of co-workers found me quite amusing today when we got on the subject of concealed carry and home defense firearms. When out of the house, i carry my Springfield Micro Compact .45, and a spare mag. I like the power of the .45 acp cartridge, especially with my gold dot hollow points, i am comforatable with it, and confident in the gun and my skills using it, and the size of this pistol makes it easy for me to carry concealed as i am a little on the slim side. While at home, i keep my Ruger GP100 .357 mag by the bedside loaded with 125gr. Mag Tech hollow points. I like the revolver for its simplicity if i need it in the wee hours of the night, and have no doubts about its ability to stop a threat, but it is a little too big for me too conceal with out a bulky coat or similar outer layer when i carry it around town. My co-workers could not understand using a different weapon for carry and for home defense, and stated it was unsafe to do so, as i may get confused if i need the revolver in the night, and try to use it like the .45 pistol ( thier words) I dont know about them, but i can tell the difference between a revolver and a semi-auto, and know how to properly use each firearm i own. I was just curious if anybody else uses different firearms for carry and home defense, or maybe rotates a few guns in turn.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My apologies to the moderators, i should have put this in the tactics and personal defense.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I carry the same weapon at home as away but if I did have a different one for home it would be a 12GA! ;)

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
You might try working on your formatting. Your post is VERY difficult to read.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
You might try working on your formatting. Your post is VERY difficult to read.
this from a guy whos sig line is a quote from yoda?

read or read not but to not understand is to know what you think you do not know but know what you think

edited to add: I train with and use only 1911s.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i dont see that what your doing is a problem.

i will second though, that a 12 gauge is about the best home defense weapon there is!!! :rock:

i think that probably the biggest thing to do is make sure that you are familar with them both as much as possible. what i mean is make sure that you know the sighting and feel with either gun. ( realizing that in a home your gonna be close quarters in most cases, so being able to instinctively point the weapon where you want to)

i have never shot anyone, but i have shot a lot of guns, ( LEO and just out shooting) and i cant remember ever swapping guns with someone else on the range and all the sudden not knowing what im doing..

shoot them both, enjoy them both.

russel
SDMF

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I believe in a common weapon. I don't demand it from others and I didn't always limit myself in that way either.

I just decided a few years ago that I wanted to get REALLY good with something. So I have the same platform for all my pistols: 1911.

1911 Rail gun on the night stand.

Two 1911 bobtail commanders and a full size for carry.

I can switch between IWB, fanny pack, clip-draw, shoulder holster, OWB and still have the same pistol.

Again, there are many ways to skin a cat. Mine isn't the only way.

I see nothing dangerous with using different weapons for different applications. The notion is silly. Since I am a 1911 guy does that make me a danger with an AR shotgun?

Nonsense.

People will call you a mall-ninja for having one type of firearm. Others will call you a mall-ninja for rotating between the latest and greatest thing. What is important is you take responsibility for your own protection and you take responsibility for knowing how all 40 of your firearms work.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I've been handling handguns long enough that just the feel of the
gun in my hand tells me how to operate it. I carry a 642 or LTW
Commander. HD is Government Model. Switching back and forth
between 1911 and revolver is absolutely no problem for me. Only
you can tell whether it is for you. I would bet it's not.

Joe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your decision is fine if you are comfortable with either. The main problem woud be changing from a pistol with a thumb safety to one without. You need to make sure its an automatic response to remove the thumb safety when you use the auto. If you ever draw your auto and find you've forgotten the safety, even for an instant, it's time to rethink your choice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have no problem switching between guns... But I do happen to use my carry gun for home defense as well because it's the only one with night sights.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Your decision is fine if you are comfortable with either. The main problem woud be changing from a pistol with a thumb safety to one without. You need to make sure its an automatic response to remove the thumb safety when you use the auto. If you ever draw your auto and find you've forgotten the safety, even for an instant, it's time to rethink your choice.
Good point. I move easily from 1911 to revolver. Throw a different type
of pistol in there, and I don't know. OP says Micro Compact to Ruger
GP100. I'd have no problem with that; he'll have to determine if he does.

Joe

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Years ago I had a Remington 870 for upland game, and a huge Mossberg for waterfowl shooting. I knew both shotguns very well, but can't count the number of times I reached for the safety in the wrong place on both guns. Consistency and muscle memory do count, especially in a home defense situation where you most likely will be groggy.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I use the same pistol for concealed carry that I do for h.d. Occasionally, I'll have a different caliber of the same style pistol at home, and, if I needed to, would feel confident in my ability with whichever pistol happened to be in my hand in the moment.

I own several shotguns, but don't view shotguns as the best choice for ME for home defense.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Crankylove:

Do what works for you, whether it's another's cup of tea or not. Having had to qualify with both revolver and auto for a class to become state certified for future security work I have no problem these days reaching for either my wifes .357 revolver or my .45 auto (our respective SD/HD weapons) if I should need to be reaching.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
My 1911 is my "go to" defensive handgun when I'm out and about or at home. I see no need to change. Of course, at home, I also have ther options available.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, sorry my post is hard to read, i will work on that in the future. I realize most people probably use the same gun, this is just what i prefer. I am very comforatable with both of my defense pistols, however, after reading some of your posts, i may re-evaluate my choices. Who knows, maybe change is better. :) I do have a loaded Model 25 within reach, but i live in a condo right now with lots of corners and tight spaces, so although i would prefer the firepower and intinidation of the 12 ga, the long barrel makes it a little impracticle for me right now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I carry a Glock 22 on duty and a Sig GSR off duty. Train as much as I can with both, but in the house have an 870, my personally owned patrol gun, that I load with high brass #6 hevi shot. I don't like the over penetration of a pistol/rifle bullet in the home. I have a wife and three year old in there too. Plus, nothing makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck stand up like racking a pump shot gun. I've seen people do some stupid stuff looking at a pistol but VERY few do not comply while looking at a scatter gun.
Patrick

·
Registered
119 Posts
Kimber .45ACP on my hip during the day and Remington 1100SP 12ga. next to the bed. 1 = 4 buck, slug, 4 buck, slug ... etc ... repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I only use my Colt Commander as my "all-purpose" defense pistol. I have had custom reliability work to make extra...extra sure it will never fail when I need it to defend my life. There is no problem with having multiple guns but I've always followed the "less factors involved less likely to fail" motto.

RJM

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Kimber Warrior or CDP II .45 for carry, Mossberg 500 with Hornady TAP 12 ga for HD

1 - 20 of 85 Posts