1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the latest regarding the closing of this fine shooting range? I haven't vistited this place for a good couple of months and want to go soon. Any good news to hear from anyone?

rimfire,22

·
Registered
235 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all....

Some friends from THR and myself are gonna get together for some shooting next sunday, October 9th, 2005.

We're planning to meet at the San Gabriel Valley Gunclub at 12:45pm. Just look for 3 skinny asian guys.

So c'mon out, bring some cool guns to shoot. Don't forget your 1911's!!

http://www.sangabrielvalleygunclub.com/

Directions:
the Foothill Freeway (210 Freeway) East to Mount Olive Drive Exit.
1) Turn Off the Freeway North towards the mountains.
2) On Mount Olive Drive, go North towards the mountains 0.6 miles to HUNTINGTON DRIVE.
3) Turn East (right)
4) Drive East on HUNTINGTON DRIVE (Huntington becomes Foothill Blvd. East of Encanto Parkway, 0.6 mile to ENCANTO PARKWAY
5) Turn North (Left) on ENCANTO PARKWAY towards the mountains. The San Gabriel River and wash will be on the east side of the road and you go toward the mountains. At the end of the road, bear east (right) past the entrance to the Quarry to the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club. (Encanto Parkway changes to Fish Canyon Drive on its North end.)
You may also Exit the Foothill Freeway (210 Freeway) East or West at IRWINDALE.

You may also Exit the Foothill Freeway (210 Freeway) East or West at IRWINDALE
1) Go North towards the mountains to FOOTHILL BLVD.
2) Turn West (Left) on FOOTHILL BLVD and go to ENCANTO PARKWAY ( first street on the west side of the river).
3) Turn North (Right) on ENCANTO PARKWAY towards the mountains. The San Gabriel River and wash will be on the east side of the road and you go toward the mountains. At the end of the road, bear east (right) past the entrance to the Quarry to the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club. (Encanto Parkway changes to Fish Canyon Drive on its North end.)
4) At the end of the road, bear east (right) past the entrance to the Quarry to the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club.
San Gabriel River Freeway (605 Freeway) North to Huntington Blvd. Exit onto Hung

San Gabriel River Freeway (605 Freeway) North to Huntington Blvd. Exit onto Hung
1) Turn East, (right), on Huntington Blvd.
2) Drive East on HUNTINGTON DRIVE (Huntington becomes Foothill Blvd. East of Encanto Parkway, 0.6 mile to ENCANTO PARKWAY
3) Turn North (Left) on ENCANTO PARKWAY towards the mountains. The San Gabriel River and wash will be on the east side of the road and you go toward the mountains.
4) At the end of the road, bear East (right) past the entrance to the Quarry to the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club. (Encanto Parkway changes to Fish Canyon Drive on its North end.)

So c'mon out! Everyone I saw last time at the Insight Range... Tara, Chris, Fatcat, bob, Ironhead, eclipse and everyone... lets get our 1911's some exercise!!

I've also posted this on THR, so it should be a good shoot

·
Registered
841 Posts
I asked the lady at the counter there about that and it is a legal matter still. I think they are still slated to be closed down....when I don't know. I heard the rock quarry company Vulcan has declined to renew their lease with the range, so if true, it doesn't look good. I would hate to see them run out as they are my favorite and closest range.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sheldon said:
I asked the lady at the counter there about that and it is a legal matter still. I think they are still slated to be closed down....when I don't know. I heard the rock quarry company Vulcan has declined to renew their lease with the range, so if true, it doesn't look good. I would hate to see them run out as they are my favorite and closest range.
Sheldon,

Many thanks for the latest info. From what I heard/understand Vulcan doesn't own the land. It's owned by the Army Core of Engineers that allows Vulcan and the range to rent space/land for business purposes. As far as the final close date is concerned the negociated agreement is now 10 years instead of the 1 year from that date stated by the lousey poor broke city of Azusa. What a terrible scandal this issue has uncovered. That city council lady should just step down. If that's what the lady at the counter had told you THEN the agreement date of closure went sour. Where the heck is the NRA!!!
I pay my dues and they can't do anything? You can't tell me they don't know about this? Somethings wrong here.

Anyway I'm just asking cuz I haven't been able to go out there for a while. I now intendto get there soon for some cap busting before it closes. Thank you for your info. It's greatly appreciated

rimfire,22

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
rimfire said:
As far as the final close date is concerned the negociated agreement is now 10 years instead of the 1 year from that date stated by the lousey poor broke city of Azusa. What a terrible scandal this issue has uncovered. That city council lady should just step down. If that's what the lady at the counter had told you THEN the agreement date of closure went sour.
Huh? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

rimfire said:
Where the heck is the NRA!!!
I pay my dues and they can't do anything? You can't tell me they don't know about this? Somethings wrong here.
NRA is (as seems usual in Kali) MIA, and so is the CRPA. I've personally contacted both organizations over the past two years and they've basically just slagged me off every time. I still keep paying my dues though...

FWIW, about 10 months ago CRPA finally printed a little blurb in their "newsletter" saying that they know about the problem and "support the SGVGC in their efforts", whatever that means. Can you say "glad-handing"?

Sigh...

The lease is up in Sept '06 and Vulcan reportedly won't renew it, so whatever happens with those crooks on the Azusa City Council, SGVGC is history. I've joined Burro Canyon as a member so I have someplace sort of nearby to shoot when SGVGC goes tits-up.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black_Talon said:
Huh? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

NRA is (as seems usual in Kali) MIA, and so is the CRPA. I've personally contacted both organizations over the past two years and they've basically just slagged me off every time. I still keep paying my dues though...

FWIW, about 10 months ago CRPA finally printed a little blurb in their "newsletter" saying that they know about the problem and "support the SGVGC in their efforts", whatever that means. Can you say "glad-handing"?

Sigh...

The lease is up in Sept '06 and Vulcan reportedly won't renew it, so whatever happens with those crooks on the Azusa City Council, SGVGC is history. I've joined Burro Canyon as a member so I have someplace sort of nearby to shoot when SGVGC goes tits-up.

Black Talon,

I may have to become a Burro Canyon member also. My friend goes up their all the time. It is sparse on overhead coverings and picnic tables like the SVGC. I was there last Sunday shooting for a short time and found out no news as of yet cuz the lawyers are still handleing the case. Fron what I gathered Vulcan won't renew the lease cuz they want the land to quarry-up the ground before leaving/pulling out BUT the city council wants someone to clean it up before going bye-bye so my beliefs that Vulcan will renew to the range to get some subletting money for the enviromental clean-up. If that happens then SVGC wmay raise the rates. Wild guess only.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Draven said:
SGVGC already raised their rates a little...

Draven,

I was just their last Sunday and didn't notice any rate hike. I'd pay 15 dollars for range time if it'll save the range!

rimfire,22

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry to hear this, I took my NRA LE Pistol/Shotgun Instructors coarse there. Nice range, great people.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Draven said:
SGVGC already raised their rates a little...
I shoot during the week, and the prices are still the same as usual..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts