1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the sanctions just lifted on china and with the exceptance of sporting arms being imported soon I wonder if we will see any new norinco 1911a1's?? I'm not sure what sporting arms covers.

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
Where did you hear that the Clinton executive order has been lifted? AFAIK the ban on weapons and ammunition was permanent, while there were other restrictions in place that were sue to sunset around this time.

You might want to read this: http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77146

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
FWIW, Executive Orders, by their very nature, are never permanent. They are only as permanent as the term of the Prez who made the order. I don't know whether the order has been rescinded, but all it would take would be the stroke of a pen.

My oldest son just returned from two weeks in China, trying to drum up some business. Maybe he snuck a coupla Norincos back in his luggage!:cool:

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think the President would need to vacate Clinton's Executive Order.

However, I have precious little trust that Bush would do this. While he hasn't fought for antigun legislation, he hasn't exactly been a strong 2A supporter; it is almost as though his attitude is "Whatever Congress wants as far as 2A/gun control is fine with me." He hasn't tried to own that issue, and it would need to be a very progun President to rescind that order. Anybody who tries will be met not only by the usual antigun rhetoric, but also by those playing the human rights card.

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
WalterGC said:
FWIW, Executive Orders, by their very nature, are never permanent. They are only as permanent as the term of the Prez who made the order.
They are permanent until actually rescinded by a future administration.

·
Registered
773 Posts
technosavant said:
I think the President would need to vacate Clinton's Executive Order.

However, I have precious little trust that Bush would do this. While he hasn't fought for antigun legislation, he hasn't exactly been a strong 2A supporter; it is almost as though his attitude is "Whatever Congress wants as far as 2A/gun control is fine with me." He hasn't tried to own that issue, and it would need to be a very progun President to rescind that order. Anybody who tries will be met not only by the usual antigun rhetoric, but also by those playing the human rights card.
And those playing the human rights card would have a point... while I LOVE guns, I'm not sure I could bring myself to support communist china to get one. Especially when there are plenty of great american 1911s.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
I can hear the screaming and crying now that would come from the Brady Bunch if Clinton's E/O was recinded. Of course if it was recinded at the same time Duyba signs the anti lawsuit bill we'd have a whole bunch of them have their blood pressure jump to the "stroke" range.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
The Big D said:
And those playing the human rights card would have a point... while I LOVE guns, I'm not sure I could bring myself to support communist china to get one. Especially when there are plenty of great american 1911s.
On the other hand, even if we could still import guns from China, the profit they would make on them is a drop in the ocean compared to what they make on all the other products they sell here--anyone who has a purchasing policy of "nothing from China" is going to have a very difficult time shopping.

·
Registered
773 Posts
kjhof said:
On the other hand, even if we could still import guns from China, the profit they would make on them is a drop in the ocean compared to what they make on all the other products they sell here--anyone who has a purchasing policy of "nothing from China" is going to have a very difficult time shopping.
I attempt to adhere to that policy, and have not found it particularly difficult except in a couple of areas. I'm not fanatic about it, but every $ counts in this particular fight so I do what I can.

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
My nifty new Canon digital camera was made....you guessed it, in China! Takes great pics, though; quality is superb, and the price was right.

Speaking of ridiculous laws/regulations, how on Earth is it constitutional that I can't cross a state line and buy an item (handgun) that's legal in both states, particularly in a state that reciprocally honors my carry permit? Can you think of any other product that one can buy in one state, but not in another?

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,569 Posts
Actually,I'd be first in line for a Norinco M1A.
Look at all the European guns out there.I really doubt that having Chinese arms allowed into the country would make much of an impact on the sales and production of domestic firearms. Springfield won't get my money anyway because I can't afford a gen-yoo-wine M1A, but I can afford a knock-off.

·
Registered
909 Posts
China sanctions lifted?

WalMart running low on junk or something, or did they find a few more jobs they can export overseas? Frankly, I find nothing that we get from Communist China, that we can't get from other third world countries who aren't threating to destroy us...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well, once they are ok for import, you can probably buy one at Marstar.ca at the same price the Canadians get them at.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
E4MC said:
Well, once they are ok for import, you can probably buy one at Marstar.ca at the same price the Canadians get them at.
I still haven't heard or seen anything that makes me believe that anything is afoot that would make it OK to import them--do you have reason to believe that the exec. order is going to be rescinded?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.