1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Para in Stainless and after a few polishings and a lot of use it's become quite shiny. It looks good but I'd kinda prefer it be duller to reduce glare.

Can it be sand blasted to dull it out? I would'nt do it myself but has anyone heard of somone who does this? I really like the look of Kimbers finish on there stainless target models.

Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes you can bead blast it. Bead blasting consists of small glass beads and is the preferred way to blast your shooter. Dont use sand!!
You will be pleased with the results

------------------
Chris from va

·
Registered
605 Posts
Bead blasting does look great but there is nothing wrong with sand. Sand comes in different coarsness grades, just like sandpaper. I use the finest I can get for a soft matte look.

Mikey

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Like Blindhogg said, don't use sand, use glass. I've had a couple of guns done this way and they turned out very good (and cheap).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot guys. Im going to contact two local gunsmiths to get a price. What should I pay for this? Any other comments or suggestions would be great.

So far it seems like sand is'nt a good idea. Is there any preping for this or is it just a stripping of all parts? Will it really become dull or matte? Thats what I'd like.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi Paranator,
Maybe I can clarify things for you, glass is made of sand, it is hard and snow white, it don't realy peen the steel like sand or aluinum oxide, it hits and breaks and leaves a brighter whiter stain finish with out leaving pits in the steel, it will show any imperfections in the steel if it isn't polished out first.
the glass will realy bounce of a hardened slides. Aluminum oxide and sand will cut the steel.
I think these bead blasters have gotten to be the lazy mans way of polishing something, it looks like Kimber uses play ground sand at 400 psi to cover there tracts, all the corners are rounded from rock tumbling, this just opens up the steel, makes it more prone to corrosion and the blueing don't stick worth a hoot.
If your going to use glass polish out the gun first then glass blast and your have a nice uniformed white satin finish.
If you want a nice matte deep gray finish I use aluminum oxide, this is the next thing hardest to diamonds, it will cut the steel and leave a dull grey finish, first I polish the machine marks out and dust it in 220 grit, it is about fine as baby powder, this will not leave deep pits and trap dirt, easier to clean. It will also cover more imperfections in the steel. Blueing does seem to penatrate deep using this method.
I don't have much use for sand, it will cut and pit the steel and leave a matte dirty white finsh but, if you like that type finish go for it. Blueing don't stick well.
Colt uses 100 grit, half glass, half aluminum oxide on there stainless pistols. It is a little to coarse for my liking, I polish out the pits and dust off in my 220 a/o. It does give the steel a classey iniformed look. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Excellent info Metal Smith...would you be interested in doing a slide for someone? I have one(P-14-45 Limited)..maybe Parnator and I could both send you our slides and you could do them both at once? Just a thought. others may be interested as well...and a few extra bucks in the wallet for you

Thanks,
EDG

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
Before I built my own cabinet, I took my parts to a local radiator shop & used their bead blaster. The owner is a pal & I pay him back with an occasional scope mounting job or the like. You might find a shop locally who will let you use their machine for a couple bucks.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi EDG,
Sorry I can't do your slides, I have a long back log of work and I'm not taking on any new work in the near or distant future till I get caught up.
Para: you ask how much to pay for blast job.
depending on the smith it could be $25.00 to $100.00, if you blast the gun you will still have the same type of finish, just look different, option: for a few extra bucks have it industrial hard chromed, you then will have a nice, uniformed, corrosion proof hard finish, its tough to recommnend a good plater refinisher, I 've delt with many and heard storys of others good and bad, I knowone that is consistant but your job should be a easy enough for any of them. Good shooting,

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by Metal Smith:
Hi EDG,
Sorry I can't do your slides, I have a long back log of work and I'm not taking on any new work in the near or distant future till I get caught up.
Para: you ask how much to pay for blast job.
depending on the smith it could be $25.00 to $100.00, if you blast the gun you will still have the same type of finish, just look different, option: for a few extra bucks have it industrial hard chromed, you then will have a nice, uniformed, corrosion proof hard finish, its tough to recommnend a good plater refinisher, I 've delt with many and heard storys of others good and bad, I knowone that is consistant but your job should be a easy enough for any of them. Good shooting,
O.K. just thought I'd check.
Thanks for the info MS.

EDG

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the imput guys...

I'll talk to my smith and see what he thinks.

Thanks,
Paranator

The hard chrome may be the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts