1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kimber officer (aluminum frame) that I want to get looking new again, it's pretty scratched up. I will be sandblasting a SA Gov't for parkerizing this weekend. Is it possible to glass bead blast the Kimber without hurting the soft aluminum underlayer. Should I use something like size 8 (170-220 grit) glass beads on low air pressure (45psi)?

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
85 Posts
No

Aluminum frames are anodized. It's the anodizing that strengthens the metal. If you remove the anodizing by beadblasting, you'll remove much of the frames strength.

Dave

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The strength of the frame comes from the quality of the alloy, from the intrinsic strength of the alloy's specific metallurgy. Hard anodizing provides surface resistance to abrasion and wear, but has little or no effect on alloy's strength.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I was not specific enough. I do not want to destroy the anodizing on the frame, hence what is the best way to get a clean matte look on the frame without hurting it.

What type of media?
What size of media?
What psi?
At what distance?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Anything you use in a blast cabinet will destroy the annodizing... the layer is only about .001-.002" You might be able to lightly.. and I mean Lightly buff it up with the finest steel or bronze wool you can find. Any scratch or ding that is visible, has probably gone deeper than the coating. If that is the case, check this out.. http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html I have one of these set ups, and it is pretty easy to do at home.:rock:

You could strip the old annodizing off with lye. (red devil drain cleaner) buff out all the little scratches, and then give it a new clear finish. and while you are at it, you could add a little color. You can also just do the lye bath, and then polish it up.:rock:

If you are a "do it yourself" guy like I am, (read: too cheap to pay someone else to do it..) then this is good:) I was up and annodizing for under $200..

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oh yeah.... annodizing is only a surface hardener...(works kind of like parkerizing.. it is accelerated oxidation) Removing it will not harm the structural integrity of your frame. the only effect will be that allof the dimensions will decrease by .0005-.001" since half of the coating is above the surface, and half embeded in the metal. This should not be a problem since that is a very tiny layer. :rock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.