1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys,
I gave my dad my favorite 1911 in my safe for Christmas this year. He got home on Christmas eve from a two week stay in the hospital for hip replacement and just celebrated his 75th bday near Thanksgiving.

I wanted to give him something that would bring back some nostalgia from when he was issued a 1911 in the service and had none himself. I can never repay my father (or mother for that matter) for all the love and guidance and support they have given me and my family over the many years....this was mearly a stypen compared to their generosity.

I told him how I would love nothing more than to tell my two boys that when the time comes for these guns to be passed down to the family, that THIS 1911 had been in the hands of their grandfather. My boys are still only 4 and 5 years old. It was a great moment between my dad and I and it felt oh so good giving him a gift that has meant so much to me. I've had some real nice work done to this gun, and I know some of you have seen it before...my dad on the otherhand had never laid eyes on it. When he opened it up, his eyes lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree... I'm not sure who was more excited...him getting it, or me giving it. It sure was rewarding on so many levels that its hard to put into words.

I can't wait to take him shooting when he recoups and this will definitely be a Christmas he won't forget.

Here's my pride and joy 1911 that now resides in "pop's" hands.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Good for you!

that's a wonderful gift to give your dad. May he enjoy it for a long time to come.

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
Brought tears to my eyes! Is he able to go shooting with you?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I had a similar experience this Christmas. I gave my sister's boyfriend a S/W model 60 70's era nickle plated snubbie that had belonged to his father that I had aquired when his older sister had liquidated their fathers estate when he passed away. I put it in a nice custom leather OWB holster.

He was not involved when they auctioned off all his father's possessions to pay for nursing home bills. He didn't really have anything of his fathers to remember him by.

I really hated to give it up! :) but it needed to go to him. We opened presents at my parents house. I was watching him when he opened it up, it took him by surprise and he had to leave the room for a few minutes. My sis said he had the gun in his hand the whole 1 1/2 hour drive home. It felt good to give it to him.

I am sure your Dad will love that gun all the more because it was given at Christmas. Now you gotta pick him up and take him shooting to get the full use of it! GREAT excuse to go shooting! :rock:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Thats excellent Dave!!!!!

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
My divorce lawyer did such a fine job in my last divorce that I gave him a 70 Series GC as a bonus. A few months later, he swapped it back to me for a WWII 1911 Ithaca that an old friend had given me. Few years after that, somebody stole the 1911 from his vehicle. Rats!

·
Registered
673 Posts
there aint no devil in devil dave, it should be halo dave.i wish i would have done that to my dad when he was alive.you quite a person halo dave

·
Registered
527 Posts
Good for you to give that to your dad. I never had that opportunity.
Now my Mom is a different story.
she love to shoot & have been able to give her a gun or 3 & for her Bday last August a Galco Miami Classic for her Sig 232. Aint givein fun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do It! Do It Now!

There is no better thing you could do with one of your favorite 1911's. Nor, no better use of your time in taking your dad shooting. Return the favor(s) of your father's while you can.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You done well, me boy...

If your father is anything like you, DevilDave1911, I'm certain down the line that this handgun will once again be wrapped with your hands or those of your boys...

My brother gave a S&W 60 to my dad before he passed, and rightly so, the Smith was returned to him a year short of a decade later, but in between those years, my father returned to shooting and that gave him alot of pleasure...

Your heart and head are in the right place in 2008...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts