1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, maybe this isn't a big deal, but we don't get to see much of the fancy stuff here in MS. But I got to fondle a WWI repro at a local dealer today--I was careful not to drool. I was pretty shocked to see it on the shelf right alongside everything else.
To me it was beautiful--I loved the blue with walnut stocks, but unfortunately it was priced out of my pay grade ($999)--especially since I'm still working on my collection of the basic stuff.
I keep hoping for that job that will let me afford my carry guns and collectible Colts.

-Chad

·
Administrator
73,431 Posts
Dealer cost on these is around the $750 mark. Unfortunately some dealers are not merely content with the standard cost +10% markup on some guns, especially when they're Colts. IMO anybody asking more than $900 for them is setting their prices too high. Yes I know gun dealers have kids to feed as well, but we all know where we can get new guns cheaper! Personally, I think some dealers who gripe about online sales and FFL transfers refuse to admit they're half the reason for the stampede to online vendors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm curious as to what dealer in the Jackson area has it?

I've looked long and hard for a dealer here that handles Colts and have not found one yet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jackson dealers

Van's deer processing in Pearl has several colt's, Kimbers, SA's and Para's. This is where the Colt is.
Great Southern in Pearl ordered my SS NRM 1991 for me--they are pretty good about looking for stuff for you and giving a good price.
Surplus City will occaisionally get a Colt in, but it's been a while.

Good luck looking. If you decide on the WWI and decide it's for shooting--you think I could tag along once--call it a finders fee :)

-Chad

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the information, Chad.

I wish I could afford the WW 1 repro but can't right now.

I'll keep Great Southern in mind to order a Colt for me later.

·
Registered
267 Posts
dsk said:
Dealer cost on these is around the $750 mark. Unfortunately some dealers are not merely content with the standard cost +10% markup on some guns, especially when they're Colts. IMO anybody asking more than $900 for them is setting their prices too high...
Not surprising to me since Colt announced from the beginning that they would produce only a limited number of these pieces, resulting in scarcity of product and higher prices. Just more hogs at the trough.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Saw one yesterday at Jays sporting goods in northern michigan.
Put it on lay away:)
The serial number places it about 100 after yours DSK.
Can't wait to be able to pick it up! :) Keep wondering whether I'll shoot it or not.
Since the carbonia finish is just like how they used to finish 'em, guess that means after a couple of decades, they'll age well after use just like the originals and look even prettier than they do now.
Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts