1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking hard at the RCBS and Lyman powder dispenser and scale combos and wondered if any of you had suggested preferences.
Thanks and best wishes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
RCBS read many reviews when I was looking RCBS was always perfered. been very happy with mine.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You have to remember these “powder pushing” scales are an attempt to speed up individual case charging into cases set in a load block
And to perform this task in an accurate repeatable manor

I have the Lyman unit and have added the upgrade kit
It consist of a larger diameter powder dispensing tube and an enhanced powder container or reservoir base that is easier to empty when emptying or changing out powders. It accomplishes this well and is an improved design over the original
The larger diameter powder tube moves more powder at a faster rate to improve cycle times

The neat thing about these scales is you can “manually advance the loading cycle” into the powder pan to speed things up

Say you want to charge your .300 Weatherby cases with 88.0gr. of 7828
You can plug in the charge weight and hit enter and the little gizmo will whir along and deliver the 88.0gr.
Or, you can set the machine, hit enter and use a small scoop or spoon to “add additional powder” while the dispenser is running
This will cut the cycle time down to about 20% or less of the normal run time
The scale doesn’t care if you throw the powder or the machine feeds it to the powder pan.
At the specified weight the powder dispenser stops and you can take the pan off the scale and charge your cases with a funnel.
After working with this “advancing the powder” technique you can charge the powder pan in a few seconds, it really speeds things up and still charge all your cases with the same charge weight for accuracy.

These units to me are for assisting in production of consistent accurate rifle and pistol ammunition in a time saving and easier way.

I use mine on any rifle loading where I want the most consistent loading I can obtain and in several of the larger pistol cases like the .454. 460 Magnum and the 500 Magnum.
These large caliber cartridges can get pricey to load; I try and wring as much out of them as I can when loading for them

These dispensing scales were never designed for assembling plinking or blasting ammo where a few grains difference in the loading is tolerable for the end use of the product.

I don’t know if my Lyman unit is faster or slower than the RCBS unit but I know I can make mine charge a lot faster if needed
So far after about 3 years of service the unit is performing well
I can not speak a bad word about it
Good Luck :)

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
I have the Lyman with the upgrade kit as well. When I calibrate it, I use the pan from my RCBS 505 scale. That way all I have to do to double check a load is place in on the 505 and I'm good to go.

I like my Lyman, very fast and very accurate. That said, they all come with some quirks and issues that you should be aware of. These are very sensitive electronic devices that can be influenced by outside forces. Things like cell phones, wireless Internet, drafts from open windows/doors/air conditioners etc., loud head bangen music and fluorescent lights (although my loading room is all fluorescent and I have no problems with them). They also don't like to be banged around, meaning it's a good idea to place the unit up off the loading bench if you are using the press at the same time. Me. I have mine mounted on a shelf just off to the right side of my bench and press.

I've had my Lyman for several years. The warranty has long since expired. Last winter it just quit, the key pad would not do anything. I contacted Lyman and was asked to send it in for a new keypad. Because the warranty had expired I expected to pay $$$ for the repairs. To my delight Lyman repaired the unit free of charge. :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've got a Lyman DPMS, this one already had the upgrade kit in it. I use it almost exclusivley now, whether it be for rifle or pistol.
In matter of fact, I'm thinking of buying another Lyman, since my "gun/reloading" room, I've got 2 benches. One for rifle and on the other wall is my pistol bench. Having 2 would make it nice, that way I don't have to move it from one bench to the other.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Been looking hard at the RCBS and Lyman powder dispenser and scale combos and wondered if any of you had suggested preferences.
Thanks and best wishes.

I use a Pact system and it works as well as any of the others. As for saving time it does. As for being more accurate, it is more accurate than thrown charges of extruded powder. However, as the powder gets finer the Pact starts being as accurate as any of the other measures. Turn off the fan don't breath on it or try to seat bullets on the same bench.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I use a Pact system and it works as well as any of the others. As for saving time it does. As for being more accurate, it is more accurate than thrown charges of extruded powder. However, as the powder gets finer the Pact starts being as accurate as any of the other measures. Turn off the fan don't breath on it or try to seat bullets on the same bench.
I have an older digital RCBS Scale and called the # since one of the calibration weights was last. RCBS sent me one free as well as the book.
I wanted the powder dispencer and they said at RCBS to just get one from Cabalas since they made it for them or the midway.
I have not tried it yet but the scale is :rock:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys very much for you information. That has been a big help on the Lyman units as I know very little about them. I have had minimal use of the RCBS unit and agree with the above, these are for accurate individual loads, not for mass production.
Perhaps a few will weigh in on the RCBS units and their performance as well.
Thanks again and best wishes.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Thank you guys very much for you information. That has been a big help on the Lyman units as I know very little about them. I have had minimal use of the RCBS unit and agree with the above, these are for accurate individual loads, not for mass production.
Perhaps a few will weigh in on the RCBS units and their performance as well.
Thanks again and best wishes.

The RCBS older version I have works very well. Soon I will add the use of the dispencer. I ordered the dispencer from Cabelas that was told is the right one.
For years I got by with my rcbs505 beam.
I have bad nothing but good to say about the RCBS service. Even after a flood when I called and asked to by stuff that was damaged they still gave it to me free to get me back on track. They refused to take my $$$
They may not be the best or the cheapest but real customer service goes far when I need to by something else

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a 10-10 for sale
pm me for info

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a 10-10 for sale
pm me for info

·
Registered
60 Posts
scale dispenser combo's

I have purchased both the older and newer RCBS chargemaster combo's. I gave the old one to my dad for his birthday several years ago (back then it was new to the reloading world). It is an awesome unit to say the least. The calibration cycle is time consuming and has to be done with each powder, but once its done enter your charge weight and hit dispense. If you will be working with one known charge wheight its hard to beat. If you load in batches its fast and easy. We load everything from 45-70 to 22hornet and that set up handles them all with ease. The older chargemaster was a side dispense unit and the new one a front dispense unit. RCBS customer service is exceptional as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the RCBS Chargemaster. I will second the fella above about throwing a charge from a powder measure or scoop and then let the Dispenser trickle it up to the right weight. It is a little faster than letting the Chargemaster do all the work and sometimes, the powder measure gets it right.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had an RCBS chargemaster combo. The dispenser "trickles" more slowly than I can accurately do it by hand.

I like my RCBS uniflow powder drop so much that I sold the ChargeMaster combo and use my Rangemaster 750 to weigh the 1st drop and about every 10 or so thereafter. Its accurate enough for my purpose (+/- 1/10th gr.).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts